Non-little Books when you're not in little space (for Bigs, too!)

MrBearsKitten

OK, so my little side doesn't read much, but my big is a HUGE reader!

What books do you enjoy when you're not in little space? I'd love if the Bigs on the site (DD/MD/etc) would comment if they love to read, too. :)

I generally enjoy classic romances ("Jane Eyre", anyone?), trashy/beach romances (Nora Roberts!) when I need a break from the heavier stuff, or fantasy genre.

It always amazes me how broad the fantasy genre is. My current favorite (it changes almost weekly!) is the Gentlemen Bastard series by Scott Lynch. The first book is "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and if you haven't read it, but enjoy fantasy - you NEED to read it! It's kind of Ocean's Eleven meets Robin Hood? Basically, this gang of thieves is pulling this major con that is so against the customs of the city even the other thieves would kill them over it.

I also adore the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan (& later, Brandon Sanderson). It starts with "The Eye of the World" and it's a classic chosen-one-must-save-the-world type series. If you decide to check it out, be aware that the first 5 chapters are a bit slow, but stick with it and then it really gets exciting. This particular series is very personal to me and has had a huge impact on my life.

Gosh, there are so many... again, BIG reader. So share! :D

I love reading both in little space and out!
I usually enjoy romance, mystery, fantasy, etc.
I personally love Janet Evanovich's Metero Girl. Was just a funny, good mystery!

I also like those foodie murder mystery books.

After reading some of H.P Lovecraft's stories ive become a huge fan of fantasy horror and mystery, would you guys know any other books that have that kinda vibe?
  • Like 1

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink is a good sort of fantasy, sort of horror book. But it's not really scary as it is fascinating.

I've recently gotten back into reading a lot and some of my of-the-moment favorites are:

Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli - A young mermaid named Sirena lives in Ancient Greece. She, and all of her mermaid sisters, must get a human man to fall in love with them in order to become immortal. Sirena falls in love with a young soldier stranded on an island. It's about their love and struggles that come with their relationship.

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender - Alexis' little sister has been acting weird lately. Weirder than normal. Strange things have been happening around the house as well: orbs of light showing up in Alexis' photography, the house is always freezing, doors open and shut on their own. Now her sister isn't acting like herself and Alexis isn't sure that it's even her sister. It's up to Alexis to solve the mystery and save her family.

Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey - This one is pure fantasy and pure fun. The king of Wilde Island is dead and his oldest son is away on a crusade, so a king's regent is ruling in his place. The regent starts sending witch hunters to every village on the island. A young girl named Tess is named as a witch, though she is not, and is forced to run away with her two best friends into Dragonswood: the forbidden forest that the monarchy has set up as a refuge for dragons and fae folk. (I really really want to see this turned into a movie.  It's a standalone book but there's enough substance that it could become either one or two movies.)

The Mermaid's Mirror by LK Madigan - Lena is a teenager in California. All of her friends surf but her father refuses to let her, yet the water calls her. She begins to sleep walk and find herself on the beach in the middle of the night. One night she sees a mermaid and is determined to see her again. (Disclaimer: This book wraps up well enough to be a standalone, but it totally leaves you wanting a sequel that you'll never get. The author died while beginning to write the sequel.)

I love Terry Pratchett Books (I'm a bit sad , he just passed away)
I also Read H.P lovecraft books (@]lsrj  Lovecraft left open the mythos to other autors, so you can easily find other books about the Mythos,)
I love Neil Gaiman Stuff too (comics and books) ,

In more "kinky" reading,  I read a Manga ( Nana to kaoru) and an excellent Comics (Sunstone)

I love the Pendragon series entirely. It's kind of young adult reading considering how obnoxious the protagonist is in the very beginning, but the story is amazing all the same.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently read Titus Andronicus because I heard about its super violent and crazy story and I really loved it. I think im going to start getting more into Shakespeare

I love love love Neil Gaiman. Anything Neil Gaiman. I have the entire Sandman graphic novel series, most of his other books as well. I'm missing a couple, but I will have them soon enough.

I also love "John Dies at the End" and "This book is full of spiders (seriously dude don't touch it)"

I also have a lot of books from internet people like "The Internet is a playground" and "Cat VS Human"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest havefunandexplore

I love reading science fiction!  My favorite author is Michael Crichton and even though it's not really science fiction (more fiction) my favorite book is Congo by Michael Crichton.  He has all kinds of great books such as Eaters of the Dead, Timeline, Sphere, State of Fear, and many more.  As for science fiction my favorite authors include Isaac Asimov (Foundation Series), Robert Heinlein (Space Cadet), Arthur C Clarke (Space Odyssey), Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)... I give up there's too many to mention.

I love reading inside and out. In little space I really like to re-read The Land Of Stories books or Goosebumps.

But outside of little space I really like Vonnegut. Timequake was amazing. But if you're looking for a series I have to recommend Chaos Walking. It's like a sci-fi western coming of age thing. It's YA and the words are simple but the message is amazing.

There's this book I constantly recommend to people called Escape From Amsterdam. It's the one of the few books I've read more than once (Once myself, and once to my girlfriend) I absolutely love it.

First up tw: rape (threat of, implication and one line referring to rape in a sort of consensual non-con situation) and forced prostitution.

So, Aozora (the main character) is a down-on-his-luck student who's not close with his family, who's girlfriend walked out on him, and who owes an awful lot of money to a Hawaiian shirt wearing yakuza. An AWFUL lot of money. When he finds out that his wealthy aunt (Whose name can literally be translated as "Aunt Money") kicks the bucket Aozora realises he can pay off his gambling debts. There's just one problem he needs his little sister to joint-sign the forms. And he's not seen her for a couple of years ...

All he's got to go on is that she's somewhere in the massive Amsterdam theme park ...

I am a huge SciFi / Fantasy nerd. LIke any kind of SciFi or Fantasy and I am willing to read it. I also like trashy supernatural romance novels and classic murder mysteries. XD

• 4 weeks later...

my favorite author is Madeleine L'engle. She wrote A Wrinkle in Time and some other great stuff, too. One of my favorite books is by Stephen Christian. It's called The Orphaned Anything's. He was the lead singer of my favorite band, Anberlin and currently is part of Anchor & Braille. Also The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. And Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham. Dunham's book really helped me feel more comfortable in my big girl skin.

Guest now_in_3D

I just fininshed Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell (also soon to be a show on BBC). A good book about magicians. Sort of like a grown up Harry Potter set in 19th century England. 

Murakami is also a favorite. All of his books are good reads.

• 3 months later...
sadly i dont read much books, i need to start making time to do that. I can't even remember the last book i read. http://www.emoticons.free.fr/smileys/Emotion-Unhappy/sad2.gif

I love love love Neil Gaiman. Anything Neil Gaiman. I have the entire Sandman graphic novel series, most of his other books as well. I'm missing a couple, but I will have them soon enough.

I also love "John Dies at the End" and "This book is full of spiders (seriously dude don't touch it)"

I also have a lot of books from internet people like "The Internet is a playground" and "Cat VS Human"

I just finished John Dies At The End, it's REALLY good. Crazy dark and scary but also absolutely hilarious. I wanna start on This Book Is Full Of Spiders soon.

I just finished a book called Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto. It was one of those sombre books that upset me a little haha. But it was a nice quick read.

• 1 month later...

I love fantasy, and vampires *-* my favorites are the "Black Dagger"-Series written by J. R. Ward and the "House of Night"-Series from P. C. Cast and her  daughter Kristin Cast :) 

I'm not much of a ScFi reader, but by now I'm sure you've heard of The Martian by Andy Weir (it's been made in to a movie....the books is nice!)

I LOVE the classics Pride and Prejudice will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart!!

But for more modern ones you can try any Sarah Dessen, I love her as an author. Just Liten is my favourite from her.

Also, the Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver!

If you're looking for something playful I'd even recommend The Tale of Emily Windsnap....because who dosen't love mermaids?

Ummm Hunger Games is nice, but I'm sure you've heard that 5 million times.

If you like historical there is a nice book a read loooonnnngggg time ago called "A Countess Below Stairs". Love it. Loved it so much I highlighted my favourite parts...then I realised I hated having my book highlighted and it's now painful to re-read.

Have you read the Gallagher Girls series? That's nice to.

But, nowadays i'm usually focused on like Fanfictions of my favourite books....try Fanfiction. Com that's like....amazing. A. Mazing. Trust me. It's like where people write spin offs to your favourite book and....it's just great.

Also, the app wattpad just search for your genre. It's sorta like Fanfiction....but people write thier own books. I'm not gonna lie, you're gonna kiss a few frogs before you find a good read but when you DO find it....trust me it's worth it.

Random books I forgot:

THE ROYAL TREATMENT by MaryJanice Dickinson (I think that's her lol....i'm seriously writing all of this from memory I haven't searched my shelves)

The selection series

Divergent

My favorite book ever might just be Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche. I don't know how much of it I agree with, but I read every sentence very closely because I was fascinated with his way of thinking. A book I really enjoyed reading at the time, when I was 15, is Shogun by James Clavell. It's a great story that left a huge, lasting impression one me.

Guest wet4Daddy

Anything by Stephen King/Dean Koontz/Clive Barker.

I read a lot of non fiction to do with the film industry and cinematography (I'm studying film at uni) I also read a lot of screenplays/scripts.

As I previously did biology at uni, I also have a load of stuff to do with that too (organic chemistry anyone?)

I know lots of people won't read a text book unless that have to, but I love learning things so I actually do read them for pleasure ^_^