DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

How to make Sushi at home

PinkiePie84

Hi, we have talked about making sushi at home in the site chatroom a lot and making sushi at home is one of my favorite things to do and teach so lets do a sushi making class thread :wub: 

First we're going to talk about rice:
You're going to get the best ( and easiest) results with a rice steamer. It doesn't need to be big. My rice steamer is 1quart and it makes plenty for a family dinner. If you don't have a steamer you can use the pot method which we will talk about later.
One of the most common mistakes with rice is that we treat in the same in the steamer as we would in the pot. In the steamer you're going to pay attention to the water level above the rice. it should be a little more than an inch or enough to cover your knuckles when you lay your hand inside. let your rice sit in the steamer for no less than 5 minutes after the steamer is done. don't let it sit more than 15 minutes.

Dressing your rice: You're going to need rice vinegar (seasoned or regular) and white sugar to make the rice dressing. You'll need enough dressing to coat all of your rice. Start with 3/4 cup vinegar, and 1/2 cup sugar. heat the vinegar in a bowl in the microwave and mix in the sugar, add a pinch of salt.
​Transfer your hot rice to a bowl and pour dressing over rice, mix in dressing by making a cutting motion through the rice and flipping it over. We're avoiding the stirring motion which will break down the rice more.

sushi1

sushi2

sushi4

sushi3

sushi5

sushi6

sugarsushi

​more soon !
Edited by PinkiePie84
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, Does anyone have questions about sushi and making sushi at home?

Im just going to share this really great video about how to make sushi rice with a pot.

My next post will be about making a shopping list. Please feel free to ask questions here :)

There's an episode on big cook little cook that I absolutely love!! It shows you how to make sushi! I think it's the adventurer one? But it's a great cooking show for little. :3
  • Like 2

I ADORE Sushi. It's so expensive over here to buy like ready made, so thank you so much for this. Can't wait to try it out.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Should we make a shopping list?

Sushi rice

Rice vinegar

Sugar

Salt

Nori (seaweed)

Pickled ginger

Wasabi

Soy sauce

Here are some possible filings, pick what you like

Seafood:

Shrimp(breaded and frozen work great too)

Crab

Sashimi quality fish

Canned tuna

Smoked fish

Seafood salad

Vegetables:

Carrots

Cucumbers

Avocado

Green onions

Bell peppers

Enoki mushrooms

Asparagus

Extras,seasonings,and sauces:

Cream cheese

Japanese mayo or make your own with miracle whip

Sushi rice seasoning mixes/ furikake

Pickled vegetables

Hoisin sauce

Unagi sauce

Teriyaki sauce

Flying fish roe / masago

Eggs/ japanese omelette

Anything you'd like to add to my list?

Soy sauce, vinegar, etc. Can be substituted or omitted for dietary needs.

This thread is awesome!! I actually made a google docs a while ago for my sushi making planning, found it!

These are the rolls I made (and nigiri), all my fav, so yummy!

The ingredients for each item is described in the box below.

sushi2

Here are the ingredients I used for all the rolls (to make shopping more easy)
I parted items into short- and long-term storage, then you can buy the long-term items ahead and short-term items only a few days before. 

sushi1

Also, this helped me with sushi rice:

Some of these things are complex but soo yummy and hopefully useful for someone out there ^-^
  • Like 2

Guest starsInTheNight

In case you don't have a rice cooker and have trouble making sticky rice, Tupperware has created a rice cooker which works in a microwave.

I was highly skeptical at first, being used to my awesome japanese rice cooker but I tried it when my rice cooker died (rip my trusted friend) and was pretty amazed at how well it works.

Plus, it's pretty cheap (less than 25€ here) when compared to the actual price of a decent rice cooker. You only lost some of the functionality but if you're only using once in a while, it's great !

Plus, you can use it to make some gyudon, oyakodon, etc. hum, I'm hungry now.

• Like 1