• Superhero Movies!

• Please log in to reply
    22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_little_nerd_*

Guest_little_nerd_*
    • Guests

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

Anyone else into these??

Just saw Wonder Woman in the cinema and it's one of the best in the genre I've seen in years. Definitely recommend.

#2 tayiie

tayiie

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 276 posts
    • Locationlocation, location, location, does it really matter?

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

Depends in how one defines "super hero". If you talk about the " classic super heros" like batman, superman and such. Nah, not my thing. Except i liked that tv show, Gatham, it was good!

#3 Guest_little_nerd_*

Guest_little_nerd_*
    • Guests

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

Gotham is Batman, yeah.

#4 tayiie

tayiie

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 276 posts
    • Locationlocation, location, location, does it really matter?

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

Gotham is Batman, yeah.

i know, thats why i said "except" and its not the "original" batman story either.

#5 Frog

Frog

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 286 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

I like them, too. My only issue (not a major one) is that I have friends who work in comic books. If you think the average viewer can have debates, these would really surprise you!

#6 Guest_little_nerd_*

Guest_little_nerd_*
    • Guests

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

I like them, too. My only issue (not a major one) is that I have friends who work in comic books. If you think the average viewer can have debates, these would really surprise you!

Insert Captain Spaulding 'Would I be surprised?' here, lol

Just wanted to start a thread about enjoying the movies tho

#7 Ami29

Ami29

Princess ami

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 61 posts
    • LocationFar far land

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:25 PM

I fell in love with deadpool after the movie and I got to meet someone who actually could have been him in a custom party in a comic con.
    but originally I am a superman fan..heading today to see Wonder Woman..can't wait to have a female superhero..I wouldn't mind adding her to my fav.list..☺️
    Her cuteness,princess Ami.💋👸🏽

#8 LoonyLoveMay

LoonyLoveMay

Lost in time

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 50 posts
    • LocationMexico

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

Hiya!!!

I really like the Wonder Woman new movie! I just got the feeling of 'Oh! Wait!' and then a big 'Noooooo!!!!' if u get what i mean ;)

My favorite super heroe movies... I don't have one! I just love them all!!! Wait! Green Lantern is a big No no!

I looooveee Under the Red Hood!!! And have an obsession with Jason! and baby Damian! LoL

Do u like the animated movies?

"Days in the sun
    When my life has barely begun
    Not until my whole life is done      
    Will I ever leave you"  :heart:

#9 Guest_thepoet_*

Guest_thepoet_*
    • Guests

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

There's an amazing short on YouTube called Hero by New Form Incubator. It's incredibly emotional and a well-rounded story for twelve minutes, and it's a terrific example of the genre. I recommended it.

#10 Guest_little_nerd_*

Guest_little_nerd_*
    • Guests

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

I fell in love with deadpool after the movie and I got to meet someone who actually could have been him in a custom party in a comic con.
    but originally I am a superman fan..heading today to see Wonder Woman..can't wait to have a female superhero..I wouldn't mind adding her to my fav.list..☺️

Hope u enjoyed wonder woman?? Its so good!!

#11 Guest_little_nerd_*

Guest_little_nerd_*
    • Guests

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hiya!!!

I really like the Wonder Woman new movie! I just got the feeling of 'Oh! Wait!' and then a big 'Noooooo!!!!' if u get what i mean ;)

My favorite super heroe movies... I don't have one! I just love them all!!! Wait! Green Lantern is a big No no!
    I looooveee Under the Red Hood!!! And have an obsession with Jason! and baby Damian! LoL

Do u like the animated movies?

The animated movies esp DC are really good! Epic Jason Todd feels, I hope they go that way with the Batman movie later. I will flail!

The team who did Lego Batman movie are doing a live action Nightwing movie soon,which is pretty epic!
    • LoonyLoveMay likes this

#12 Guest_little_nerd_*

Guest_little_nerd_*
    • Guests

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

There's an amazing short on YouTube called Hero by New Form Incubator. It's incredibly emotional and a well-rounded story for twelve minutes, and it's a terrific example of the genre. I recommended it.

Sounds neat! :) :)

#13 Guest_VikingLord_*

Guest_VikingLord_*
    • Guests

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:54 PM

Batman and Avengers

#14 Arc

Arc

Arc

• 812 posts
    • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:08 PM

I love superhero movies. ^^ I enjoy Batman and pretty much anything by Marvel lol. 

I only saw that wonderwoman recently and I thought it was really good. :) 

#15 Little Illy

Little Illy

Little Sapiophile

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 807 posts
    • LocationAussie Land

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:19 AM

Alrighty roo! So I LOOOOOOOOVE Marvel and DC, however, Marvel has literally innovated a lot of successful techniques in the recent/current MCU movies. And I don't see how someone, who just loves media, could not appreciate the standards they broke and raised over the years.

But I will admit, I hated watching superhero anything when I was younger because it was just either lame or the characters were never truly given justice (in MY eyes). But I am happy to see that as the tech has advanced, so has their passion to bring to life these characters.

- Superman; I hate this character in general and I don't believe in him. Like, a man who is invincible and can do anything? *yawn* Where is the challenge?

- Spiderman; I have DESPISED how they have done this character over and over. And finally the MCU got their head outa their asses and gave the viewers what we needed - a teenage Spiderman. In every movie in the past, Spiderman gets bitten and all of a sudden its an adult going to high school. Every movies loses the touch of Spiderman still being a teenager and having that hurdle to try to jump over in the process. Spiderman in the Cap. America and Homecoming. They kept the age difference, they kept the reference gap ("Hey you guys ever see that really old movie, Alien?"), and honestly? His purity...

- Batman; The Batman franchise has had some good ones, don't get me wrong, but I feel like they have stretched themselves too much. Done the same story over and over. I loved the Bale/Ledger movie, cuz I am that person, duh. I think the Batman franchise has been waiting to the technology to match the stories - think of all of the weaponry Wayne has? I think that is one of the reasons why it was so successful this time around. To which, Batman is my third favorite superhero.

- Iron Man; Iron Man is my first favorite super hero. And Robert Downy Jr. is like... gah *fangirl swoon* so to see them come together?! *fangirl death* But seriously Iron Man hit the nail on the head for the cinemas. They focused on him being human a lot (like testing the components and getting beat on constantly) and they kept his intelligence his strength, unlike a few stories (where all of a sudden he was physically much more powerful after becoming Iron Man).

- Black Panther; I will not go into detail as I realize I am the odd man out here. But I believe Black Panther is utter trash and is a discredit for everything it was supposed to be.

- The Hulk; All of the movies? Sucked. And it depresses me immensely. It wasn't until Thor Ragnorok that they finally started getting into the Banner mentality. They started showing that the Hulk isn't a mindless killing machine, and that Banner and the Hulk are two different entities, not two different sides of one person. When I read and learned about the Hulk, that is what I always took away from it. This great power struggle from the human side to a more primal side. The Hulk isn't a monster, he is filled with rage, he is filled with frustration, being upset, he is the negative emotions personified. There is a wealth of exposure that I truly think the MCU missed out on. At least they FINALLY got an actor to give Banner justice (Ruffalo). 

- Deadpool; This is the one movie franchise where you can say "they actually made Deadpool." Being the first R rated superhero film, doing everything it did? The Wade Wilson is about "what can we take from him next?" and the interesting thing is, through the Hero's Journey, you see that even when they take the last thing, it doesn't matter. Because to Wade, it doesn't matter, why would it matter? It is just another fucked up chapter in this thing called Life. Then in the second movie keeping up with current issues (even within the geeky world of comic books) and they have yet to censor Wade and all of is infamous glory. Which, I believe, is why the movie is so goddamn satisfying. It they would have censored the ONE being who deserves NOT to be censored... the franchise would've been fucked with a lot of the fans...

- .... I could keep going but Daddy says its time for dinner O_O

Overall... I am a slight Superhero fan... heh. But I feel they could've done a lot more with some of them, and others I think they tried way too hard for way too long. 

Edited by Little Illy, 14 September 2018 - 01:22 AM.

#16 Longlegs

Longlegs

Devourer of gods & pizza

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:03 AM

- Superman; I hate this character in general and I don't believe in him. Like, a man who is invincible and can do anything? *yawn* Where is the challenge?

Common misconceptions like this are precisely why we need another movie that gets Superman right.
    I mean, the guy's been a household name for decades. But his prevalency in pop culture, combined with most people not reading comics (which is fine, by the way) has caused this weird image of Supes being a dreadfully dull flying brick. This dissonance is true with most big name capes to some extent, but no one else's got it quite this bad.

Edited by Longlegs, 14 September 2018 - 03:04 AM.

#17 littleblueskyee

littleblueskyee

cutest Little ever!

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 58 posts
    • Locationthe south

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:37 PM

i wuv superhero movies!! i just tend not to watch them lots cause they usually have over complicated plots and stuff. i really like spider man though!

tumblr_ovmwz1hcDO1usjesqo1_500.gif

Friendship is Magic!

Skye, little age 3 or 6, big age 20! They/Them pronouns please. Taken by my wonderful daddy~

#18 Little Illy

Little Illy

Little Sapiophile

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 807 posts
    • LocationAussie Land

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

Common misconceptions like this are precisely why we need another movie that gets Superman right.
    I mean, the guy's been a household name for decades. But his prevalency in pop culture, combined with most people not reading comics (which is fine, by the way) has caused this weird image of Supes being a dreadfully dull flying brick. This dissonance is true with most big name capes to some extent, but no one else's got it quite this bad.

I have actually read quite a few of his comic books (Admittedly, years and years ago) and yes there were interesting story arcs and plot points and everything. And yes I know the whole kryptonian thing and how that plays its part over the duration of the Superman lifespan which then, of course, leads to legitimate obstacles and legit dangers, etc. But that is my opinion. I still think a "superman" is lazy writing in MY opinion. Im not saying I am right, but I have looked into it enough to not feel badly about my opinion. 

I mean, my favorite heroes are the normal guys who stands up to the Big Bads anyways. Iron Man, Banner and Batman are my three favorite heroes. They are human (wait for Banner), they have to figure all of this shit out on their own, essentially. They don't have a genetically altered super soldier body, they don't have the ability to fly, or to stay underwater. If they fall off a building (without tools) they die. If they get hit with lightening, they die. If they forget to sleep, eat, drink, etc, they die. See, these are my heroes because they found a way to use their intelligence to stand toe to toe and even kick the ass of aliens, supernatural beings and other superheroes. To me, 1. that level of balls is admirable (a human vs Alien, 9ft Thanos,  Mutation, etc) and 2. They adapted to be ones of the bests. And they did it as a human.

But this whole thread can be relative - there are so many technical superheros out there. What about Antman, Watchman, the Incredibles, etc. So essentially the comic book hero and the cinema hero can be two different entities depending on who you are talking to :p so I do see where the frustration of a hero possibly being misunderstood, underepped or what have you.

#19 Longlegs

Longlegs

Devourer of gods & pizza

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 39 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:38 AM

I have actually read quite a few of his comic books (Admittedly, years and years ago) and yes there were interesting story arcs and plot points and everything. And yes I know the whole kryptonian thing and how that plays its part over the duration of the Superman lifespan which then, of course, leads to legitimate obstacles and legit dangers, etc. But that is my opinion. I still think a "superman" is lazy writing in MY opinion. Im not saying I am right, but I have looked into it enough to not feel badly about my opinion. 

I mean, my favorite heroes are the normal guys who stands up to the Big Bads anyways. Iron Man, Banner and Batman are my three favorite heroes. They are human (wait for Banner), they have to figure all of this shit out on their own, essentially. They don't have a genetically altered super soldier body, they don't have the ability to fly, or to stay underwater. If they fall off a building (without tools) they die. If they get hit with lightening, they die. If they forget to sleep, eat, drink, etc, they die. See, these are my heroes because they found a way to use their intelligence to stand toe to toe and even kick the ass of aliens, supernatural beings and other superheroes. To me, 1. that level of balls is admirable (a human vs Alien, 9ft Thanos,  Mutation, etc) and 2. They adapted to be ones of the bests. And they did it as a human.

But this whole thread can be relative - there are so many technical superheros out there. What about Antman, Watchman, the Incredibles, etc. So essentially the comic book hero and the cinema hero can be two different entities depending on who you are talking to :p so I do see where the frustration of a hero possibly being misunderstood, underepped or what have you.

But the thing is, the character can't be "lazy writing" across the board, since he's been handled by tons of people over the years. And since DC's been doing the multiverse thing for ages, there isn't just one Superman, either.
    I get that the concept is really boring when written poorly, but the same goes for every single cape out there. Which is why comic book nerds tend to follow writers, not characters.

The draw of Superman's character isn't that he's a bullet-proof buff guy that punches people really hard.
    It's that, despite his origin & powers, he's the most human of DC's roster; a kind of ideal for human beings to work towards.

However, you're entitled to your opinion.

#20 Little Illy

Little Illy

Little Sapiophile

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 807 posts
    • LocationAussie Land

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:17 PM

- The Hulk; All of the movies? Sucked. And it depresses me immensely. It wasn't until Thor Ragnorok that they finally started getting into the Banner mentality. They started showing that the Hulk isn't a mindless killing machine, and that Banner and the Hulk are two different entities, not two different sides of one person. When I read and learned about the Hulk, that is what I always took away from it. This great power struggle from the human side to a more primal side. The Hulk isn't a monster, he is filled with rage, he is filled with frustration, being upset, he is the negative emotions personified. There is a wealth of exposure that I truly think the MCU missed out on. At least they FINALLY got an actor to give Banner justice (Ruffalo). 

But the thing is, the character can't be "lazy writing" across the board, since he's been handled by tons of people over the years. And since DC's been doing the multiverse thing for ages, there isn't just one Superman, either.

I get that the concept is really boring when written poorly, but the same goes for every single cape out there. Which is why comic book nerds tend to follow writers, not characters.

The draw of Superman's character isn't that he's a bullet-proof buff guy that punches people really hard.
    It's that, despite his origin & powers, he's the most human of DC's roster; a kind of ideal for human beings to work towards.

However, you're entitled to your opinion.

I think I get your first point as I believe (I could be wrong, still trying to understand!) it is similar in my stance with The Hulk.

That makes a ton of sense; a lot of comic book characters have different versions of themselves. As I admitted my comic book reading days are way in the past and I don't remember much, and I would have been a child. But as an avid media lover and a reader, I definitely understand how following a writer would be crucial for some. Daddy explained it is very similar to how people (like Daddy) follow directors for movies.

So... I am not being petty or snide... is he like what the comic book world produced for people to literally emulate? Is that what you mean by the whole "household name"? Because I def did grow up with Spiderman and Superman (my father's favorites). I guess I can see how young children would always love the perfect human, if you will, who defeats the bad guys (child's POV - not belittling Superman or his fans here). I get it. 

But even with that new perspective for me, I still can't take Superman seriously. I give him credit if he was horribly underrepped in comparison to the comics - I know that frustration very well. And I give the credit that he may have been created as the idealistic superhero, but... okay I guess the best thing I can think of to explain: I think of Metro Man from Megamind (Yes, I realize Metro Man was literally based off of Superman - but to me they are on the same level). This character that is comically involved in his city saving and oozes unrelenting love for the civilians [ excluding the ending of Megamind here]. I guess I just see him as a superhero for a child and it retains this childlike nature to me. I realize this is my personal perspective but he is still just kinda laughable to me.

I do appreciate learning about the written character.  :) I do enjoy learning more about DCU and MCU ^_^

* Daddy just pointed out that people want the actual Hero's plight. That Superman is an outdated hero because he can't be trialed as easily and therefore he cannot triumph as much. Which is a night and day difference than the hero archetypes we have today. The clean cut doesn't transfer nor can it compare to the heroes we are pushing today. Think of Deadpool. You can decapitate him, blow him up, have him kill people and still be seen as a massive hero. Look at what Christopher Nolan did with the Dark Knight - he broke the mold for the Batman franchise and turned it into an Oscar winning masterpiece. Superman cannot be handled correctly for the more modern audience accustomed for a more gritty subject matter.

Edited by Little Illy, 15 September 2018 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users