#1 Big Daddy Smillie

Big Daddy Smillie

Primal Beast Type Dude

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 44 posts
    • LocationScotland

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

A couple of times I have been talking with people an they suddenly become deleted. I'm never sure about why they would have been deleted and it's frustrating that I don't know why since we were hitting it off.

Perhaps a small notification in the chat screen displaying a vague reason for account deletion would be good eg 'Account has been manually deleted by user.' or 'Account has been removed due to violation of forum rules.' This at least is less likely to leave people feeling like they did something wrong and the person abandoned them.

• Loki, Babygirl696 and SheepishPrince like this

#2 PapaMax

PapaMax

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 100 posts
    • LocationUK

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:49 AM

I agree, I've had this happen to me a number of times too so don't think it's just you.

• Loki likes this

#3 RavenclawPrincess

RavenclawPrincess

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 107 posts
    • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

If an account is deleted it's because the person chose to delete. When that happens, their username changes to Guest_username* and their profile picture disappears. The staff does not have the capability to delete an account without a request, which must be initiated by the member.

If it was done by staff the account was banned (not deleted) for serious rule breaking. When that happens, their username stays the same, their profile picture remains, and on threads you will see Banned underneath their name (instead of Member).

Either way there shouldn't be any instances where an account disappears and the member doesn't know what happened.

• throatghosts, Gândi_Bee and WanderingWonderland like this

#4 ManOfMystery

ManOfMystery

• Members
    • Pip
    • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

It's happened to me several times (and again yesterday), often right in the middle of an ongoing conversation. It's weird, disconcerting and sometimes hurtful, I agree.

#5 Child Of Light

Child Of Light

Glitters & Sparkles

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 122 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

I hate when members delete accounts (OCD :p) I'd rather it state 'user request Ban' and the accounts still be intact like a banned member. That way when they come back (as you know they will), the account can be recovered, and people can realize who-is-who.

Edited by Child Of Light, 29 May 2018 - 08:43 AM.

#6 throatghosts

throatghosts

Advanced Member

• 933 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

Honestly if people wanted you to know why they’re leaving, they’d tell you.
    That’s not to say it doesn’t suck. It’s just not information that we as individuals are privvy to.
    I’ve had a bunch of friends delete, not acquaintances- actual friends, and you come online and they’re gone.
    Just gotta move on.

Raven is 100% correct- We never delete an account on our own accord, only when people request it.
    Nor do we discuss warnings, bans, verbal warnings, messages to staff etc. So it would violate that member’s privacy to advertise it to everybody. Plus, can you imagine how embarrassing that might be for them?

Tl;dr- it blows when friends leave, but if they’ve deleted it was their decision.
    • 🎃 👻 BARBIE 👻 🎃, neworder, Dlkx93 and 3 others like this

82_FC2_C34-090_C-4_CD4-_BD8_E-7_C89049_C

#7 Guest_Sonos.ツ_*

Guest_Sonos.ツ_*
    • Guests

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

I hate when members delete accounts (OCD :p) I'd rather it state 'user request Ban' and the accounts still be intact like a banned member. That way when they come back (as you know they will), the account can be recovered, and people can realize who-is-who.

. It is impossible to recover a deleted account via IPB

#8 Child Of Light

Child Of Light

Glitters & Sparkles

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 122 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:24 AM

. It is impossible to recover a deleted account via IPB

It's technologically not impossible. However, it's very hard and challenging/// not worth it. Which even furthers my point that deleting accounts are harmful. :)

My off-side suggestion was to instead of deleting members that request to no longer be on the site --- to set them as a banned member with a 'User Request Ban' tag (instead of just banned). This will allow 1. members to know, that the member has taken a personal decisions to leave the site 2. give the member an option to come back on the site in the future (if they wanted to), and still keep their account in-tack (via just emailing 'contact us' and requesting the account to be un banned).

It'll also make it look like less members are deleting (as I'm betting a 3rd or more of the members that delete their accounts -- come back under different handle names).

Edited by Child Of Light, 31 May 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#9 Joanne_chan

Joanne_chan

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 357 posts
    • LocationCheshire, Great Britain

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

It's difficult because people leave either because of poor experiences, in which instance we need to know what so it can be dealt with directly or they get ...oh what's a good expression..., 'cold feet' about Cg/l even though it's a broad church with lot of room for personalization and then say 'please delete my profile'.

I guess the problem with 'ban' is it invites the thought they did something wrong wrong although I don't generally like the idea of deleting posts on demand cos it just messes up threads they didn't start so I prefer Child of Light's suggestion of 'User Request Ban' as it leaves the posts alone and allows for people to return if they wish rather than creating brand new accounts.

Just a thought.

• Child Of Light likes this

Middles Blog

http://joanne-chan1.blogspot.com/

SFW Tumblr (Liltot/CGLRE age regression community)

https://littlemisspr...sjo.tumblr.com/

Joanne

#10 PapaMax

PapaMax

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 100 posts
    • LocationUK

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

My off-side suggestion was to instead of deleting members that request to no longer be on the site --- to set them as a banned member with a 'User Request Ban' tag (instead of just banned). This will allow 1. members to know, that the member has taken a personal decisions to leave the site 2. give the member an option to come back on the site in the future (if they wanted to), and still keep their account in-tack (via just emailing 'contact us' and requesting the account to be un banned).

Under gdpr laws in Europe I think you are compelled to delete someones account if they ask you to do so.

• Gândi_Bee likes this

#11 ~*Nyx*~

~*Nyx*~

Shadowriders Baby

• Admin
    • PipPipPip
    • 101 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:41 PM

We are bound by internet laws, that said if people ask to have their account deleted we have to respect their request. If they give a reason as to why they are deleting that we feel we can help with we will hold off for a couple of days and reach out to the member to see if we can help resolve whatever the issue may be. However more often than not when members send a deletion request for their account they don't give a reason.

• Gândi_Bee likes this

#12 Guest_pencilwithoutlead_*

Guest_pencilwithoutlead_*
    • Guests

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

Please can someone help me delete my account? I'm having trouble managing to.

#13 throatghosts

throatghosts

Advanced Member

• 933 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:28 PM

Please can someone help me delete my account? I'm having trouble managing to.

Go to ‘Edit Profile’ aka ‘My Settings’ : https://www.ddlgforu...e&module=usercp
    The Delete Account option should be located in the bottom left.

82_FC2_C34-090_C-4_CD4-_BD8_E-7_C89049_C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users