#2 Soph<3

Soph<3

<3

• Members
    • Pip
    • 5 posts
    • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

i am sincerely sorry that this is happening to you. i know i dont know you, but please message me if you need anything. my mom had cancer twice, im here for support.

#3 Onyx

Onyx

• Members
    • Pip
    • 5 posts
    • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

This year I had multiple brain surgeries for an aneurysm and something called a dural fistula. These aren't tumors, but they're just as life threatening. I know what it's like to be scared of brain surgery and what it can mean, but medical science has gotten SO good at this in even just the last 5 years. I'm sure you'll be just fine. If you need someone to talk to and ask questions to, feel free to friend/DM me.

It's going to be okay.

#4 depth_of_field_ddlg

depth_of_field_ddlg

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 32 posts
    • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:25 PM

Did your neurologist specifically say they were looking for a tumor? Sometimes neurologists can be a bit...insensitive...and not choose their words carefully. Often, if you have neurological issues and don't have an extensive workup, they order MRI's to rule out illnesses rather than confirm their presence. In other words, they might not really believe you have a tumor, but want to make super-duper sure that you don't. Also keep in mind that "tumors" are not necessarily cancerous, and many of them end up being benign. 

Good luck, practice self-care, and try not to stress out about it too much. There's nothing you can do but get the test and wait. Let the doctors do what they gotta do, but don't be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes MRI's have weighted blankets, which will help you alot. They probably wont allow stuffed animals during the test itself, but call and ask. I've brought my stuffies to procedures. Be honest that you have alot of anxiety over this test. Regardless, usually brain MRI's are pretty fast. They can be loud, but pretend they're a musical instrument from OKGO, or that you're in a spaceship on a journey to Mars. All an MRI is is just very strong magnets and some very weird math. 

• littlemarmar likes this

#5 Lola Step

Lola Step

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 115 posts
    • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:13 PM

I won't comment on anything to do with health as people above me have covered it wonderfully, however I do have ALOT of experience with MRIs and while they can be a little stressful you CAN get through them and you will feel super duper proud of yourself afterwards :) As depth of field said they probably won't allow yoy to take a stuffie in with you but you do get a locker to put your things in which i put my stuffie in when i took one and just knowing he was there waiting for me to have cuddles afterwards was great. You won't be able to wear anything metal so make sure you take off all jewelry/bras etc; also (unless your doctor has recommended otherwise) i would stay clear of liquids a bit before the scan as you will probably need to pee especially if it is a long scan, also take some spare underwear in case you have an accident (i did one time as the scan was so long and it was pretty embarassing but the ladies were real nice about it) Also without prying to much are you getting this done at a childrens hospital? (You don't have to answer that as I know age is a big thing on this website) but if you are the childrens hospitals usually have it set up so you can watch movies during the scan which helped me HEAPS, they might even do it at adult hospitals if you ask, I'm not sure. Lastly they will probably give you a needle before hand which can be ouchie so maybe pack some super cute bandaids to put on it afterwards as it might cheer you up :)

#6 Guest_Sleuthiedoll_*

Guest_Sleuthiedoll_*
    • Guests

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

i had my test.

they let me keep my stuffie

#7 Guest_Sleuthiedoll_*

Guest_Sleuthiedoll_*
    • Guests

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

Did your neurologist specifically say they were looking for a tumor? Sometimes neurologists can be a bit...insensitive...and not choose their words carefully. Often, if you have neurological issues and don't have an extensive workup, they order MRI's to rule out illnesses rather than confirm their presence. In other words, they might not really believe you have a tumor, but want to make super-duper sure that you don't. Also keep in mind that "tumors" are not necessarily cancerous, and many of them end up being benign. 

Good luck, practice self-care, and try not to stress out about it too much. There's nothing you can do but get the test and wait. Let the doctors do what they gotta do, but don't be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes MRI's have weighted blankets, which will help you alot. They probably wont allow stuffed animals during the test itself, but call and ask. I've brought my stuffies to procedures. Be honest that you have alot of anxiety over this test. Regardless, usually brain MRI's are pretty fast. They can be loud, but pretend they're a musical instrument from OKGO, or that you're in a spaceship on a journey to Mars. All an MRI is is just very strong magnets and some very weird math. 

they let me have my stuffie.

it was actually ordered by an ear nose and throat doctor since I am loosin my hearng.    I had a spot in my brain and they was checking to see if it got bigger.

#8 MrWrongUk

MrWrongUk

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 127 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

I had a mri a few months ago, it took about a hour because I kept moving. Just try to stay still and think happy things
    Also hope it works out good for you im sure you will be A ok.

#9 Guest_Sleuthiedoll_*

Guest_Sleuthiedoll_*
    • Guests

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

I had a mri a few months ago, it took about a hour because I kept moving. Just try to stay still and think happy things
    Also hope it works out good for you im sure you will be A ok.

its already done with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users