16 replies to this topic

#1 MisterPringle

MisterPringle

• Members
    • Pip
    • 5 posts
    • LocationVA

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

Do any of you guys wish there was a full and easy to use app for the forums? Maybe if we get enough people on the same page we can have one made!
    • FluffyLittleLilac, Lil Peep, PrettyTransBoy and 2 others like this

#2 Aes

Aes

Issa flower

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 135 posts
    • LocationEurope

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

Suggested this before but uhh i got shut down. Ill try n break it down real quick while i munch down on my lunch for ya.
    1. Paying a developer to develop the app. Shit costs money (yes i am aware people would donate,me included)
    2. It exposes the forum to unwanted attention from creeps. (Kimda like socializing apps, people get stalked and creeped out on em a lot
    3. Well thats all i can come up with.

Conclusion: idc i still want an app lmao
    • FluffyLittleLilac, PrettyTransBoy, mehrpw and 2 others like this

#3 milkpop

milkpop

Advanced Member

• 1020 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:24 PM

I’m moving this from Social Media to Feedback & Suggestions, as that’s where it belongs.
    URL to pre-existing topics:
    https://www.ddlgforu...opic/23873-app/
    https://www.ddlgforu...pic/29178-apps/
    I couldn’t find your topic Aes, but feel free to link to that too? >.<“

An app would be great, but as Aes acknowledged- it would cost a lot. Upwards of roughly $700+, and that’s probably without the costs for maintenance and updates.

Not speaking on behalf of the owners btw.

I feel like the issue with accepting donations is it giving people with less than good intentions, the opportunity to claim some sort of power over the owners and how they choose to handle the site. E.g. Making a point that they somehow owe them back for their donation, or expecting some unwarranted leeway in regards to the Rules or other member:staff interactions.

We have some really great members, but just like most cases- money can be an awkward subject, and there will always been self-entitled people.

**That’s just my personal thoughts, none of it’s third party information.**
    • FluffyLittleLilac likes this

82_FC2_C34-090_C-4_CD4-_BD8_E-7_C89049_C

#4 Guest_Arc_*

Guest_Arc_*
    • Guests

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:25 PM

It costs a lot and it's an ongoing cost. Idk how things work when it comes to apps but... I know FL have an app but the app store won't allow them to put it on there. I don't know if ours would make it there either being a kink site. I know you can have direct downloads from websites but.... I know I'm wary af of places that have you download an app from a site rather than the app/play store and I imagine others might be too. 

Also agreeing with throatghosts. Money is a difficult subject. I'd like to think everyone has good intentions but like everything in life, there's always those one of two people.... ._. 

#5 Frog

Frog

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 295 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:57 PM

It costs a lot and it's an ongoing cost. Idk how things work when it comes to apps but... I know FL have an app but the app store won't allow them to put it on there. I don't know if ours would make it their either being a kink site. I know you can have direct downloads from websites but.... I know I'm wary af of places that have you download an app from a site rather than the app/play store and I imagine others might be too. 

Also agreeing with throatghosts. Money is a difficult subject. I'd like to think everyone has good intentions but like everything in life, there's always those one of two people.... ._. 

I have developed Android apps. To make an app for a website (without an API) it's a huge undertaking. And the Google Play Store would definitely not allow it. There are a few adult-oriented app stores, but to be honest, that would be a bad idea (imho). 

For those who haven't read my posts in the other threads, here's a summary:

The forum software, IP.Board 3.4.9 does not have an API as far as I can tell. Version 4 does, but that would require the forum owners to buy the new version, which is even more money. An API, or application program interface, is a way to access the site, usually XML or JSON. If you don't have an API, you have to resort to HTML scraping, which is downloading a webpage and process all the text in it to find what you need for display. This is a bad way of doing things. If any tiny part of the page changes, the app may no longer function at all.

It's possible but a huge pain the nether regions.

• milkpop, BeanBumElliot and FluffyLittleLilac like this

#6 Guest_Arc_*

Guest_Arc_*
    • Guests

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

Welp. I didn't know any of that. Thank you for explaining ^^ 

I know people don't like how not-pretty or limited the mobile site is, but you can still use the full version on your phone. As nice as an app would be it's just not a plausible option by the sounds of everything. 

• Frog likes this

#7 SquishyUnicorns

SquishyUnicorns

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 47 posts
    • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:29 PM

Bummer, I was kinda hoping for an easy to use app too, but understandable how big of an undertaking it would be.

magical-unicorn-icon-260nw-708283159.jpg

Daddy's Lil  Princess

Little Age (6-8)

ahxc.gif

#8 Dale Christopher

Dale Christopher

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 22 posts
    • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:35 PM

They didn’t even make the mobile site pink, so I don’t like your chances >_<

#9 babybumble

babybumble

tiny taurus

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 21 posts
    • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

I feel like an app would change the function of this site. Just speculation, but I feel like there would be a ton of ppl on here and it would lose the community atmosphere.

#10 Guest_hurtlocker_*

Guest_hurtlocker_*
    • Guests

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

Frog summarized it perfectly.

Even if we manage to agree that it's a good idea functionally speaking (unwanted attention from all the android/iphone users in the world)... technically it would be a very difficult undertaking.

The forum is a pre-fabricated product that can be free or bought once. Like your car. Once in a while you need to upgrade it, if you choose so (like going with your car to the shop to do maintenance). The upgrades are like pre-fabricated pieces that you replace in your car. Upgrades are important to solve new security flaws that appeared. It is easy to leverage on it as a pre-fabricated product: quality assurance.

An app would be custom built just for us ($$$). So we would need to find someone to build us a car or we built us ourselves. Which can be as hard as Frog said. But... even more importantly, it needs maintenance (the upgrades). So, that someone needs to keep coming back to maintain, i.e. do the upgrades. Custom building something is way more expensive than buying a pre-fabricated thing. Custom maintenance might be even worse.

It's a great dream, but too many issues for now: (i) change in nature, (ii) custom built it ($$$), (iii) custom maintenance.

PS: no, there aren't quality pre-fabricated apps we can use yet...

• milkpop likes this

#11 TheTrainer

TheTrainer

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:30 AM

Why not just use TapATalk?

#12 Frog

Frog

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 295 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:22 PM

The main problem I have with Tapatalk (the app, not the plugin) is that when you sign in, anyone can view the servers you're on. So if anyone follows you, it will show them all the servers you're on and your name there. I'm not sure if this was fixed in later versions, so that may not be an issue now. I stopped using it because I paid for it, then they decided to put ads and take away premium access. Then they created a new pro version and didn't let us former paid users use the newer paid version.

As for the plugin for the server, I remember looking at it. I'm in no way involved in any of the forum/site owners, so don't take this as an official word. I can't remember if you can opt out of your server being publicly shown in Tapatalk's server list. This is good and bad. Good that anyone can find it, but bad because anyone can find it.

#13 Little_munchkin_

Little_munchkin_

• Members
    • Pip
    • 3 posts
    • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

I can’t find this site on tapatalk

#14 Frog

Frog

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 295 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:57 AM

I can’t find this site on tapatalk

The plugin isn't installed here. Tapatalk requires a plugin for sites if they want to be used with Tapatalk.

#15 AndrewMA2018

AndrewMA2018

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 15 posts
    • LocationEngland

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:56 AM

I mean i offered to make them the app...

#16 PrincessSnorlax

PrincessSnorlax

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 54 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:19 AM

I’d love an app of sorts too! I use the mobile version of the webpage and sometimes I find it difficult to navigate the site follow topics etc, an app would be amazing, if it would be allowed of course

*glitter*  :wub: Princess to a Sir  :wub:  *glitter* 

*glitter*  :heart:  Loved, Collared & Owned :heart:  *glitter*

#17 MellyBoo19912015

MellyBoo19912015

Daddy's kick ass little girl

• Admin
    • PipPipPip
    • 289 posts
    • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:28 PM

Hey guys,

An app would be complicated, expensive and wouldn't necessarily work or even be allowed on an App Store. Those that offer are lovely but right now it's not an option for us.
    • Frog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users