DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Dealing With Depression and Being a caregiver

DepressedDaddy

Hi all,

I've struggled with depression for a long time. 

Becoming a Daddy was a way of feeling needed, feeling like life was worth living, feeling like even though I feel so down.. well theres another little being that I make happy and am so important to...

I haven't seen my little in awhile.. And its crazy how strong the depression returns..

I was wondering..

How do you deal with the depression and how do you keep it from your little?

Are there any other caregivers because of the same reason..?

What do you do if your little leaves you..?

Is it better for someone like me, who is depressed and takes heartbreak so seriously, to just stay away from this sort of thing? I know it takes away from my ability to be a good caregiver..

Just looking to bounce some ideas off some heads.

I had to make a new account on here so my little doesn't find out what I'm going through.

Thanks for any response.

Guest LittleSnowiii

Daddies are human too, they have their own inner demons and battles they have to face!

First of all I think Daddies and Littles should have honest with each other, so you should be honest and tell her. Trust and honesty is very important. Even if she doesn't fully understand it.

Second, many daddies suffer from mental health issues (litles too), so you aren't alone ^^ 

Maybe try to talk about your depression symptoms and how it affects you here. Make some friends and PM them! Talking and venting can help you alot.

Hope I helped a little

p.s- I'm a little with depression, if you ever need to vent with someone who gets it, feel free to PM me.

I am a mommy/switch and I suffer from depression too. (and anxiety, and Body dysmorphic disorder, and paranoia...lots of fun times) I've found that being open with your little is the best way. If you gain comfort from them then it's best to let them know that. I'm sure they would love to know that they make you feel good. Most littles I know really like taking care of their caregiver. Not in the same way though. Whereas a CG might keep track of appointments, brushing teeth, homework...a little cares for their caregivers heart. It's the whole reason I enjoy being into CG/L. When I feel down I let my little girl know that something is off and she talks about her day and how much fun she had and she says how much she loves me and can't wait to be here with me (LDR until March). She takes so much care of me and my emotions I don't know what I would do without her. She gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning (or at least wake up to check my messages.)

In the end, I would be honest with them. They can give back so much in the way of protecting your heart, but they need to know that they are needed. That is true of any relationship honestly. I hope it gets better for you.  

Edited by TwitchySwitchy
  • Like 1

Thank you for your responses.

I think I shouldn't be ashamed of it.

I just want to be her superman you know..?

Also, twitchy, I'm afraid of being so attached to my little. Heartbreak is so rough..

I think I will tell her. Thanks.

Guest Fancysir

Depression is very real and it drains your energy.  As you a said "Becoming a Daddy was a way of feeling needed." It most likely feels positive when it helps you in this way. Have caution that being a Daddy is a substitute of dealing with your depression or it becoming an avoidance to working on yourself. The highs and lows you are experience is a normal part of recovering from depression. Many people describe it as a see-saw battle.

Research show healing from depression is best done with a professional. There are many types of therapies that could help. Lots of literature recommends a Psychologist over medication for a long term solution. In regards to keeping it from your little this may not be the best course of action. If you can be open and honest with how you are feeling, with your afflictions, and what helps you, that may serve you and your little better.

Another common symptom of depression is feeling like you're not worthy.  It may not necessarily take away from your ability to be a care giver. However, it does drain your energy and makes it tougher to do most everything really. 

In summary do consider be honest with your little.  Best of luck.

The number one thing is communication let your little know what's going on or at least someone you respect and trust. I'm a daddy who also suffers from depression and being inseparable from my little made me feel like I didn't have to worry anymore and when we were together for so long and all the time there were times I forgot about it. Well at least I ignored it. But there were times it came back and now that me and my little have been separated for a year now I'm back to square one again.I'mm still working on getting myself together again and now I wish I worked on it instead of ignoring it. I tried to keep it from her because she was suffering from depression too and that was a lot more I didn't want her to deal with. So we were just using each other to make each other happy and without the communication our relationship suffered from it and ended badly. Communication is very important especially when there is something else in play. And yes I know they'll try to help and do everything they can do to make you happy but you have to work on it yourself and make your self stronger. seek counseling and help and let the people you trust help you as long as you want to get help. It not going to be easy but it will make it easier in the long run.