DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Anyone afraid of the dark?

DollyD

Guest LittleEV

I've been scared of the dark for years. It comes from a lot of stuff that's happened in the past, but while I don't have a daddy, I do have my wonderful stuffie, William! (He's a dolphin, my favorite animal!) I also keep the lights on. Always. :p

Yes very very much.  The light from my drawing tablet is enough of a nightlight though, it's got this little rectangular light for some reason between two of the buttons and it's pretty bright actually, to the point I sometimes have to partially cover it because it's too bright.  I keep night lights around the house though in other rooms, I found them to be too distracting to sleep with in here.   I can't sleep with a lot of light but I can't sleep if it's ultra dark.  Always thought I was the only one over like... 9 or something who was afraid of the dark.   If I'm home alone overnight I keep the kitchen light on while I sleep even though this door is shut and I can't even see that it's on, just knowing it's on helps.   Plus I have, for during storms, this neat globe USB charged light.  It unplugs on both ends and has a handle underneath so if power goes out I've about 80 hours of light if I keep it on low.  Some nights I turn it on, if anxiety is extremely unbearable.  I've a cute kitty flash light too (some Lil Tykes brand I think that a friend gave me years ago) that meows and his mouth opens then light shines.  So during storms I keep him nearby too.

• 2 weeks later...
Omg YES! I sleep with my light on and last friday my bulb went out so I'm staying with my friend til the maintenance man can come change it for me. I thought I was weird with this one. Thank you :D

I just had to walk through my dark house to get a towel and my heart was pounding because I was SURE there was a big monster around the corner.

So I ran back and jumped in bed with Daddy!!

I've always been terrified of the dark.

I've always had a nightlight but it was never enough, recently I got these copper wire string lights and they're AMAZING!

http://www.amazon.com/Homestarry%C2%AE-Dimmable-Wireless-application-Christmas/dp/B00UKQUGXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449648167&sr=8-2&keywords=homestarry

I get afraid of the dark very often. To help, I sleep with my stuffies and twinkle lights wrapped around my posters on my wall. It looks nice and isn't too bright!

I was afraid of the dark when I was a child. I don't have any problems with it now though. I think I got over it when I was about 12 or 13. The only thing that makes me tense about the dark now is trying not to step on something, like one of my cats... Fluffy things like to run between my legs all the time, and I always worry I'll step on one! :D

Not really, but when I sleep without my Master I find it difficult to fall asleep sometimes. I just get stressed and anxious for no reason, and I really have to be worn out or really relaxed to fall asleep then. Drinking tea or doing some yoga or cuddling stuffies helps, though! 

Hi!

Ever since I was little I've been scared of the dark, I always sleep with a night light (we have blue fairy lights wrapped around the banister on the stairs :3). But, I still get super scared, even now, with Daddy Bear asleep next to me I'm a little nervous :/

Does anyone else get scared? How do you cope?

Gosh this is embarrassing for me to admit but yes I am scared of the dark sometimes. Strangely, this is only started last year. Usually I cope by hugging a small mountain of pillows or leaving the closet light on when I go to bed.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always been afraid of the dark. I'm the only 30 year old that needs a night light and white noise to sleep

Try being 33 with a nightlite and still waking up scared!! I like asmr and "rain on tent" playlist to sleep!! Xx

Guest littlegirl000000000543

i don't like the dark. before i go to bed, i check under my bed and in my closet. by making sure there is nothing scary around makes me feel better. also i sleep with a stuffie! that always helps too!

Guest lottierose

I'm scared of the dark too! Always have been! I always sleep with the tv on with an automatic shut off for when I'm already asleep. However I can sleep in the dark when I have someone sleeping next to me. But I don't have a daddy yet. :( So sticking to the tv for now!

I've always been scared of the dark. I can sleep in darkness if I have to but I prefer not to be without some kind of light. I have a hello kitty clock that has a little light on it that helps me a lot. I'll get really scared if I have a nightmare, like I'll be shaking and scared to be alone and I'll need to watch TV or something to help me calm down.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really cared of the dark  ; ~ ;  I need a pile of stuffies and blankies to protect me since my Daddy lives very far away and can't protect me from the monsters  ; n ;

Guest itsbabygirlbean
I have night terrors (for 2 yrs since a traumatic event) so I do get scared when it's dark. I snuggle Mr Paddington and listen to my radio. I feel calmer after that.

Now obviously I'm not happy you all have the fear, but I'm happy I'm not alone, I leave the downstairs light on every night because you cant turn it on from upstairs daddy holds my hand or lets me go first and turns it off. I cant stand being home alone. Everything's scary.

i keep my elephant light on 24-7 its bigger than a night light... i cant sleep in the dark... if it is dark then i just stare into the darkness and it eats me alive.. i have flashbacks of bad times... n i hear things that probably isnt really there.. i have to have a movie on n a light on or i cant sleep.. i hate nights n dark.. 

Guest Wholockprincess23

I'm am extremely afraid of the dark. I always have been and at just about 25 I have come to accept that I probably always will be. I don't like not being able to see. I also suffer from PTSD on a severe level though and have discussed this with my therapist. She tells me it's normal and to be expected. I still find myself embarrassed every single time someone asks me about it, though. Usually new boyfriends and friends who stay over. Most people like to sleep in the dark and I just simply can't. Luckily those close to me haven't been too horrible about it. They just sort of accept it and adjust.