DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Signs that you were a little, from when you were actually a kid?

princess gremlin

After realizing they were a little, did anyone else remember certain signs or things from their actual childhood that suddenly made sense? I don't know if the phrasing of that makes sense, but let me try to explain. In another topic talking about my favorite Playhouse Disney shows, I remembered that even when I was in fourth/fifth/sixth grade, I still watched Playhouse Disney shows meant for preschoolers - Charlie and Lola, Doodlebops, Jojo's Circus, Imagination Movers, The Wiggles, Higglytown Heroes, Handy Manny, Little Einsteins (and to mention Nick Jr, Lazytown, Max and Ruby, and The Backyardigans were my FAVORITES). I remember being super embarrassed that I still loved preschool shows and trying to hide it from my friends at school.

I also loved everything to do with preschools in general. I remember when I was in late elementary school, my friend's little brother was a toddler and we often had to go with her parents to pick him up at preschool and his classroom was AMAZING. It had squishy climbing blocks and a little fort and pillows and a jungle gym, and it was all soft and toddler-sized and I just remember ignoring the desperate urge to play on all of it because I knew it was for two year-olds. And as a little now, I still feel the EXACT same way when I see cute things in preschool classrooms, or like toddler-sized playground equipment. So it almost feels like I was even a little when I was a kid.

But BASICALLY I was just obsessed with things meant for preschoolers and toddlers, when I was between the ages of like 8-11, and I didn't really understand why and I couldn't tell anyone. Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences/memories???

• Like 2

I think I was the opposite, actually. When I was younger I didn't really enjoy my childhood, and then I went through a very prolonged punk/goth phase where I rejected anything "fun" and took myself way too seriously, starting at like age 10. I rejected anything pink or cute. I desperately wanted to grow up and I hated being a kid, I wanted to be taken seriously and be able to live on my own. It wasn't until I was about 17-18 that I started having a resurgence of interest in "kid" things. I got really into Disney movies and cartoons, started getting more stuffies, wearing more colors (I even dyed my hair hot pink!) and being more interested in crafts and just silly things. I think in some way I regretted wasting my childhood wishing I could grow up. So now here I am!

• Like 6

Definitely. I noticed that I "didn't grow up" in a way. My family would make fun of me for watching kid's shows like Wonderpets and The Backyardigans while everyone else my age was watching Nickelodeon shows and things like that. I've always loved coloring and stickers, no matter how much older I got.

• Like 1

I think I was one who kinda didn't get to have a childhood - was a very serious little kid and carried the weight of the world on my shoulders. Now that I am safe, I can be little.

Also though my little slides around more between little (low maybe 5) and middle (maybe 12 or 13) and I was always kind of a dark person and a nature kid so it might not have been so obvious.

• Like 4

I never wanted to be a "big kid" when I was small. I resented the idea, actually. As I got older, starting at around 7, I had to grow up really fast to protect my mom and stand up to my dad almost every day. At the end of the day, I'd run into my room and act out my day with my Barbies. I learned how to make myself happy in a scary world.

In my preteen years, I found myself favorited by young children, ushered by kindergarteners on the bus to sit with them instead of my classmates. I never seemed to let go of my childlike ideas of happiness. On bad days, I'd put a bedsheet over a fan and hide in a billowy tent to do my pre-algebra. In stores, I'd touch every texture in every baby book, push every button on every toy, hide in clothing racks even when I outgrew them.

At 14, I got a baby brother, and my parents got NickJr, which I watched with him until bedtime. I was a pro at getting him to calm down, and as he got a little older, we were best friends. His first word was even "Sissy" :)

Then, in high school, I had a quick relationship with a dominant classmate who told me I was like his "little girl", and that's when I started piecing it together. The guy turned out to be a jerk, but he really helped me identify and accept my needy, little side. And for that, I'm grateful.

• Like 1

Growing up I didn't get to enjoy my child hood. My parents were divorced by the time I was 7, my mom remarried and let's just say he was a less than stellar man. There was a lot of emotional turmoil growing up. My mom eventually divorced him by the time I was 12 or 13, my brother, mom and I moved to a new place and my mom slide into a deep depression for years that got as bad as being afraid to leave the house. A lot for a 15 year old to deal with. After a while and the right combinations of medicines for anxiety/depression, my mom returned to normal and life went on. I had dropped out of school, I went off to get my g.e.d, started college and graduated. Now I'm pretty much stable...I never stopped enjoying child like things but now it gets to come out. I've never felt my age, while my friends that are my age are off buying houses and having babies, I'm more interested in watching cartoons, coloring, stuffies, and being read to.

<3

After realizing they were a little, did anyone else remember certain signs or things from their actual childhood that suddenly made sense? I don't know if the phrasing of that makes sense, but let me try to explain. In another topic talking about my favorite Playhouse Disney shows, I remembered that even when I was in fourth/fifth/sixth grade, I still watched Playhouse Disney shows meant for preschoolers - Charlie and Lola, Doodlebops, Jojo's Circus, Imagination Movers, The Wiggles, Higglytown Heroes, Handy Manny, Little Einsteins (and to mention Nick Jr, Lazytown, Max and Ruby, and The Backyardigans were my FAVORITES). I remember being super embarrassed that I still loved preschool shows and trying to hide it from my friends at school.

I watched HI 5 until I was 8 and they started only showing the new version (which was horrible!!) thats the only reason I stopped.

I also watched a lot of they shows you mentioned until I was around 12/13 when we lost the channels that showed them but recently I now have the "kids" channels and started watching Disney channel and Nick jr. and stuff so I have y fix again XD

Lazy Town was also one of my favourites until they recast Stephanie :(   I always used my little brothers as an excuse to watch Scooby-doo,The Backyardigans and rugrats (it was part of my daily routine until I was 13) I still have my old Scobby-Doo DVDs in my room, my mam doesnt even find it odd that I freaked out when she tried to throw them away to make space. (but the woman wont get me the one ting I want for christmas [ A GIANT teddy!] because I am too old, she has no logic!)

Honestly I could go on for hours about this but I will stop while I am ahead, I'm probably boring anyone reading this.

I'm not sure about signs when I was a child. I know when I was younger I was more innocent than my peers and baffled by the fact that they were "dating" at nine and ten years old. I feel that the signs became much more obvious when I was a teen. As others have expressed, I often found myself watching children's shows like Arthur, Caillou, and Rugrats. I always missed my mouth when taking a sip of something, spilled drinks, tripped, and loved to hold my mother's hand when we crossed the street or wandered around the grocery store. I was always attracted to children's hay rides and activities and would gaze wistfully at frilly children's clothes. Of course, I always wear a bow in my own hair and several of my bows are meant for children. I colored in secret and I felt most safe when I sat down with a children's movie.  

I always felt as if my peers were unsuitable for me. In part, this was because they could not relate to my wizened personality and hardened sense of judgment. On the reverse side, my peers were also unsuitable for me, because they were immature whereas I was childish. I longed for a partner that could nurture me and love me unconditionally while delighting in the youthful things I delighted in. I wanted someone to rediscover my childhood and life with. I always yearned for a papa bear that could ease the burdens on my shoulder and teach me how to no longer notice them.

When I finally found my papa bear I knew that I could never go back. This is what I always desired and needed. It was my intense desire to be cared for that alerted me that I was a baby. The other facets I described remained unnoticed. I was always consumed by the feeling that a regular relationship and a regular partner would fail to satisfy me. 

Guest Miss Braid

At about 8 years old, I realized there was a space inside of me that was smaller and younger, and enjoyed all sorts of girly things. I was a hardcore nerd and tomboy, so that scared and disgusted me.

Guest littlemissragamuffin
Differently, when I learned about Littles, DD/LG, and even AB. There was like this light bulb that went of and suddenly alot of things made so much scents. I never stopped watching little kiddie shows, I would skip high school to stay home just to watch Blue's Clues and this one Whinnie the Pooh show(they where like puppets or puppet like). I still use a binkie. In fact, my Jr.high school had to tell me to stop bringing it to school with me when I was 13/14. That's when I learned people used binkies for drugs. I freaked out, why would you purposely put wholes in your binkie!!!?!?? My parents had a horrible time trying to get me to stop using sippy cups. When ever I was at a friend's house or a baby sitter I'd take and use the sippy cups(my baby sitters hardly ever actually payed attention to me). I still can't understand why sippy cups are not an adult thing as well. I mean it's spill prof and flys and bugs can't get into your drink. That just makes scents. Growing up I'd always get jealous over the new toys and items that can out for younger kids, like why couldn't that have been around for me? I love coloring with crayons and coloring books, it's pretty much a hobby. I've never stopped buying kids cloths. As long as I could fit into it, I'll wear it. I'm not very good with adult things. I don't really understand most things or what to do or how to handle things. It's much easier to have someone explain things like you would to a child. Growing up I knew something wasn't "right"(for lack of better words) with me, I could see things changing and know that I'm supposed to see and understand things differently more of an adult understanding. But it was like someone froze my mind where it was and I just can't understand things. I really hate being an adult lol I'm just a little girl who's body has outgrown her...
  • Like 1

Definitely. I noticed that I "didn't grow up" in a way. My family would make fun of me for watching kid's shows like Wonderpets and The Backyardigans while everyone else my age was watching Nickelodeon shows and things like that. I've always loved coloring and stickers, no matter how much older I got.

Pick up the phone

The phone is ringing

Pick up the phone

I'll be right there

--

There's an animal in trouble somewhere

--

What's gonna work? Teamwork!

• Love button 1

When I was 17, I would get a huge kick out of my boyfriend at the time calling me "baby"/ "princess", and just sitting on his lap and being cuddled. It made me feel so cute, loved, and protected.

I remember feeling a bit disappointed when the upper grades at my elementary/middle school didn't get to do the fun projects that the kindergarten-3rd graders did, like the "bubble day" towards the end of the school year and other field trips.

I wouldn't say I had a bad childhood, but it was troubled and my emotional needs frequently went unmet. I knew without really knowing I guess from a VERY young age that I was submissive. I had a fascination with rope and kidnapping and medical equipment at like 4.

I went through puberty really early and my body changed before the other girls did and necessity kind of dictated that I be mature for my age, but I always loved kid stuff. I guess along the way I was supposed to lose interest and I just didn't.

But I wanted to KNOW STUFF as a kid. I would go on these information binges and devour entire books and websites worth of information about a single topic and let my trains of thought lead me from one topic of interest to the next. Occasionally the topics I obsessed over got pretty dark, and I tended to carry the weight of the world's trouble on my back, but I somehow managed to stay mostly quite innocent.

Looking back, I can definitely see how that habit honed my littleness. So in the end I guess I have an obsessive compulsion to research a thing to death to thank for all of this :p

• Like 1

I think looking back what I can with my nice foggy memory I compartmentalized my "little" self early on.  I kinda of had to grow up fast and had some traumas when I was a kid so it made me stuff away the little parts of me. I overall had a really good childhood, it's just the few really bad scary things that happened made me lock up parts of my self that I think attribute to my littleness now

I did always still watch kids shows though, Blue's Clues, Backyardigins, Sesame Street, etc. I always had coloring books, crayons, i have always always ALWAYS slept with a stuffie, kept buying/asking for kids stuff like legos, stickers, action figures.

When I do let go enough to be in little space with full abandon I find it so healing, because it's like I finally get to do those things and feel safe ,something I didn't always have when I actually was a kid.  

Well, things made sense when I realized I played with Barbies until I was 16 with my little sister and I never stopped enjoying PeeWee's Playhouse!

But I didn't understand what a little was until much later in life and then suddenly... it all clicked. I was like, omg, it all makes so much sense now!

Not getting enough of Hello Kitty or Disney. Or pink cute soft blankies and collecting Monster High dolls and playing with them. Dressing them up. Or seeing adult onesies and just having that urge to buy one.

But it was a long journey to be where I am now, enjoying my littleness and having a Daddy that embraces and encourages it. He makes me feel loved, safe and protected.

I have always been mature, but childish similar to what The Pepperment Princess said. People always assume that due to my child like perspective I must be immature, but that's not true. While I grew out of immaturity around the age of five, I never grew out of my child like wonder and eagerness to learn. As a preteen I attached myself to my grandmother, who cut my steaks and took the crust off my bread. She often would sneak me flash lights at night so I could pursue my reading passion. As I grew older, into my teenage years I was constantly bored and unhappy with all my relationships. I desired to be cared for and watched over by a protective eye. Many boyfriends of mine rejected my desire to wear pig tails daily, asking them to take me out on bike rides, my love for dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets, and my submissive nature. They also were probably very confused by the stack of princess movies, armfuls of stuffed animals, and my avid passion for finger painting and playing in rain puddles. :p Poor fellows.
  • Like 1

I really can't think of any indication. Aside from the fact that I had a bottle until I was 5 or 6, I was a very forward thinking and independent child. I was 2 years ahead at school at the age of 4 and wanted to grow up more than I wanted anything else in the world. I didn't have a single stuffed animal or toy set growing up (although this could have been due to growing up in relative poverty.)

When I started university and entered my first real adult relationship I began to realise that I could be extremely needy both physically and emotionally but didn't consider myself to be a little. I eventually surmised that it was because up until that point, I had had very little emotional or physical intimacy with anyone and probably needed more affirmation than was normal. 

Really the very first real indication of having a little side was when I began to crave sucking on my wife's thumb during our downtime. When we watched movies or cuddles or sometimes when we were being intimate. Eventually we both realised that she's a Daddy dom and I'm a little. 

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I watched preschool shows until I started high school, and drank from a sippy cup until I was in middle school. It wasn't for everything I drank but every morning my mom would bring me chocolate milk in a sippy cup lol I asked her to do it once when I was really young like 3 or 4 and she just never stopped doing it until I told her to when I was like 10-11. I always loved my younger nephew's toys and to this day I play with those little roller coaster looking bead toys they have at hair salons. lol I had a huge coloring book collection when I was in high school and I've just always loved things that made me feel like I was little again. My friends who have sisters around 6-8 always joke with me about how we're basically the same person because our reactions to everything is the same and we like the same things. I've always had this baby-talk voice kind of thing I do when I'm with my mom or someone that I'm dating. Once I found out what a little was everything kind of made a lot more sense.

Guest Maylittlegirlxx

I love watching cartoons until now and i never stopped watching since i was 3-4.

I played and ran every day until i became 14 or 15 that's when my mom told me to stop playing with the little kids.

I was really jealous from my little newborn brother when i was 11 because he was able to drink from a bottle and I can't. I used to steal his sippy cup and bottle sometimes and wash them and drink juice with them.

Being short was really useful because everyone when i was a little thought i was younger by 3 or 4 years <yeah that's crazy i know > and had no problem with my childish behavior so I carried on until now.

Girls never liked me because of my childish mind and for not caring about their stuff so my boy cousins always played with me. We would spend hours running around the park, playing football and buying sweets after the long day.I felt like a sister to them but when we grew older and I knew about the love stuff it became weird and they stopped talking to me.

When i was like 9 i heard that boys could peepee while they are standing so I spent a week telling my mom i want to do it as well but she always said no. Last year I found out why

I think i never left my childish side and i always wanted to be a little girl again.

It never occurred to me until a few months ago when my LDR bf(now daddy) started off by calling me baby girl and princess and saying good girl, things of that ilk; and I really REALLY liked it but didn't want to admit it. He finally started calling me kitten and I called him daddy a few weeks ago. I bought a pretty lacy collar and got to pick the colors (lilac, orchid and plum) and I got a bell on it too! I found from the Etsy page links to different information that eventually led me here. I'm am on the "older" side for a little perhaps (33) but my daddy is 10 years younger than me. Absolute age reversal. I can only attribute my sense of being a little to my parents divorce when i was 8. I was the oldest of 4 that my father (bless his heart) got full custody of. He relied on me to be the mom and so i was for many years. I never got to complete my childhood. My father was great but with the stress and his social anxiety he had no time to nurture me growing up. 2 failed marriages and several disaster relationships later I found Liam my daddy. Took me 6 months to realize that even at a distance of 4k miles he takes care of me, disciplines me and nurtures who I am. We are happy. I am damned happy. Thanks for sharing and reading , littles!! Xx

Guest starrflower

I was scared to grow up. My parents were loving, but they both drank heavily to escape the pains of life.

I remember feeling grief in middle school that my friends were growing out of 'little' things. I still loved riding my bike everywhere and exploring. I played with my barbies for a long time and was ridiculed by my peers for it. I tried to fit in but I eventually became an outcast.

I started to cut myself off from my little self and tried to join my peers at around 16, but it came with a pretty heavy price. So now, I am trying to embrace my little again. It is such a healing experience.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Stray_Kitten
Never really wanted to grow up at parties I would always be with the younger kids rather than the adults or teenagers. I just felt more comfortable. Then as I got older I noticed that I would still watch preschool shows, not so much talk but have more of a happy sounds way of talking and while people thought that it was a phase I started to wonder what this was. I found out that I was a kitten first by watching a youtuber called XxScreamkiwixX and in watching those videos I found out there was a name for what I am doing, I'm not alone, its not wrong. It finally made sense. Then after more digging I found myself the dd/lg tag on tumblr and again I was like okay so there are more people who like to colour, drink from sippy cups, cuddle and do little things and I was like wow there is a whole community of people and joining it has been the best decision of my life.

I had a odd childhood where I'd act really mature and want to be older than I was then I'd have times where I just wanted to be a kid. I did stuff people thought was 'weird' for my age like getting in a shopping cart where babies go (you know what I mean?) despite the weird looks I got for being a 10-12 year old I used to get into baby swings too. Since I was always small I got to do stuff that all the little kids did and I got away with it for awhile because I have younger siblings. For some reason I couldn't let go of Barbies until my freshman year of high school I still have a few though. When I discovered there was a place where I could be myself with no judgement I felt normal because I fit now :) Still getting used to it though.

I guess im on the other side here, as im a little boy and everyone seems to be only girls here. I had to grow up reallly fast and when i was alone i would allways regress back to my little years (4-6) I watch cartoons still on saturday mornings in my jammies while having breakfast. I sleep with my teddy bears and stuffed dog at night. As a grown man now its hard to admit that im really a little. It took me a long time to let myself identify with that fully and now that i have im the happiest little boy! I'm comfortable now im my own skin and letting myself go into little space feels SO right!"

Growing up i didnt get to do alot of little kid things and now i'm enjoying ALL of them! 

• Hugs 1