DD/LG Gaming: "The Last Of Us"

Guest second_impact

Guest second_impact

Hi I'm David, new to the forum and the DD/LG world in general.

This is a message to try to make as many people as possible to play this amazing piece of storytelling that is this videogame called "The Last Of Us" which is as compelling as any really good book, movie, painting, sculpture, or whatever you're into. If you are a gamer Little or Daddy, and feel your couple doesn't share the interest, this might be a bonding experience for you both that even if it doesn't spark a gaming era in your relationship, at least it will leave you emotionally touched with a subject matter that is close to home.

OK so, what's all the fuzz about? Well, TLOU is a 2013 game that was universally critically acclaimed, and had a huge commercial success. So, does that make it any good? Well not because of that, but the it is excellent basically for one thing: it does not underestimate it's audience.

The plot's about the fatherly bond created in between Joel, an old survivor, and Ellie, a tough and smart teenager. Now without giving away any plot points you need to set in your mind that there are no stereotypical characters in the game, and pretty much everyone you encounter, even antagonists, will have multiple dimensions. And that's actually what gets the game flying: you are concerned with the plot only in a secundary way, when it affects the protagonists directly, since the focus is on their point of view and everyday almost routine activities even in great danger. Said plot involves an epidemy that turns people into mindless killers (alla "28 days later"), and a journey through the USA that Joel and Ellie must make surviving the creatures and the rival survivors, in order to possibly unlock the cure.

And it beggs the question: How far would you go to protect your Little Princess?

If this starts ringing to much of a mediocre plot... well you should play it and judge for your selves.

Now, how does this tie in with the DD/LG lifestyle? Well, Ellie is not Joel's daughter for starters, although she is a 14 years old teenager. Of course the game doesn't feature any romantic or sexual interactions between them, but last time I checked those aren't a necessary part of a DD/LG relationships anyway. This game is about the clean pure side of developing the need to protect someone, and the slowly but constantly growing love that comes traumatic situation after traumatic situation. It doesn't matter if Ellie is underage because it is never about taking advantage of her in any way, quite the opposite.

The game succeeds with flying colours in putting the player in the shoes of it's characters, mostly in their spirits and minds which is more important than any perfectly rendered set pieces, and yet there are many of this and they look astonishing.

TLOU does require fighting or sneaking through enemies, it's not a casual game and it's ment for you to earn your way through it. However it's much more than that, and the violent encounter bits are always there for a reason. Something changes after every major event, be the plot or the characters themselves. One of the most amazing aspects of the game is that the personalities of the characters are written into the action scenes. People who have played this game know that enemies don't die easy which adds to the feel of threat. But when in the middle of a fight Ellie runs at a guy and throws a brick at his face so you can shoot him, YOU (not Joel) will definetly yell "Fuck yeah Ellie you are the shit!". Her badassery and charm overflow the console and they leak out right into your heart.

In the end, Joel is so taken by his feelings, that does the unthinkable in terms of where the game was going, leaving a bittersweet feeling of longing for more, yet being true to the characters personalities.

On the downside, it is a Playstation exclusive title, so it's limited to people who own one or are willing to get one. If you have a PS it is unlikely that you've never heard of TLOU, but if you never played the game it's hightime you do, snuggling with Daddy or Little and letting go in this emotional ride.

If any of you has a weak spot for romance movies, you can tell him/her that the very subdued melancholic music was written by the guy that made the soundtrack for "Brokeback Mountain", and he knocks it out of the park.

Hopefully this made you a little more curious about it, and you should. You're missing out on a great experience.

See you next time!

• Like 1

It was a lovely game.

I'm here to comment that, even if you don't have a PlayStation, you can still gather the experience of the game's story by looking it up on YouTube.  Searching for The Last of Us walkthrough (or gameplay) without commentary, you can find the game completely played out. I realize a lot of people will find it boring to watch another person play a game for 15 hours, but some people might enjoy it.  I have always enjoyed watching others play games.

Just an idea, for anyone who is interested in experiencing that games story but lack the access to a PlayStation.

Guest Chandelier

Wow! That is so much information! I am glad that you have laid this out without giving away too many major plot points.

While DD/lg is a dynamic that should be shared between two consenting adults, I can definitely see how the underlying theme of devotion towards another person would spark interest in caregivers and littles alike. 

• Like 1

I've always wanted to play the last of us specifically for this and the zombies lol. Is there any news of it being ported to PC? or should I use an emulator?

People have been asking for it to be released on the PC for a really long time, but it seems highly unlikely.  The have expressly said they will never port or remaster that game for the PC.  

Guest second_impact

Hey everyone! Thanks for your replies!

It was a lovely game.

I'm here to comment that, even if you don't have a PlayStation, you can still gather the experience of the game's story by looking it up on YouTube.  Searching for The Last of Us walkthrough (or gameplay) without commentary, you can find the game completely played out. I realize a lot of people will find it boring to watch another person play a game for 15 hours, but some people might enjoy it.  I have always enjoyed watching others play games.

Just an idea, for anyone who is interested in experiencing that games story but lack the access to a PlayStation.

You're right Qwartney, actually I had never played the game in full until right before writing the post (only half of it when it came out), and then I watched several playthroughs on You Tube. It's so cool I even like seeing people's reactions to it. However, as a couple's activity, I recommend playing it and/or being right next to someone playing it.

Wow! That is so much information! I am glad that you have laid this out without giving away too many major plot points.

While DD/lg is a dynamic that should be shared between two consenting adults, I can definitely see how the underlying theme of devotion towards another person would spark interest in caregivers and littles alike. 

Yes definetly, the age thing is... well, a thing. And in all honesty, Ellie is not Little since she is not only NOT role-playing (you can't role-play your actual age), but is also more mature than girls her age (considering she never knew the world before collapse). The focus here would be placed in Joel who's backstory ties in to his feelings towards Ellie.

I've always wanted to play the last of us specifically for this and the zombies lol. Is there any news of it being ported to PC? or should I use an emulator?

Just like Qwartney says below, there aren't and won't be any PC ports, and there are no PS3 (nor 4) emulators for it, despite and alleged site whichs seems to be a scam for what I saw when I tried to download it. So it's PS or nothing :(

• 4 weeks later...