DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Dark colours vs Pastels/pink

DarkLittleScarlette

I have a question regarding colours and such. I know a lot of Little stuff is pink or pastel colours or something like that, but what about Littles that are more on the dark side? Like dark purple, black, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love pastels. I don't like pink, but I loooooove pastels lol but sometimes I'll go from pastel colours to neon to so dark it's almost black and all of it makes me feel little still. I guess I'm just wondering... Is there some kind of unspoken rule about colours like that? Or do most Littles just like soft colours/pink?

Of course there are little who prefer dark colours! You certainly not alone!

I love pastels as well but generally prefer dark colours, black and lilac are my favorite colours :D

Littles are just like everyone else, we all have different preferences 

• Like 1

I think a lot is pink because supposedly every little girl loves pink and princess type things. When I was young I hated pink, and now that I'm 24 I love everything pink! But everyone is different and everyone has their own personal preferences. There's no rule that you have to like pink because you're a little. Do whatever makes you feel little!
  • Like 2

Pastels have been used for babies in the United States for over a century, I believe. That's why many littles like them. When children get old enough not to want to be seen as a baby, they graduate into brighter colors. Then around adolescence, they start using less color.

You might see this in toys, in clothes, and in business catering to different age groups. For example:

http://www.southernsavers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/logo_babies_r_us.gif

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/2/2b/ToysRUs_mobile.png

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/logos/images/preview_gstag_blackred.png

Which business caters to which age group?

• Like 1

I think that you can find cute clothes in black and other colors. Now with the pastel goth fashion you can find really cute outfits and still feel little and comfortable :)

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww278/Topher89/tumblr_inline_mley6rfNPn1rxsw83_zpsvgejmqur.gif

It's kind of unfortunate that many littles think there are unspoken rules about being a little. Whatever you like, you're doing it right! There is certainly no uniform colours.

Here's where it comes from: the majority of littles are females. Western society associates the colours pink and purple with young girls (only in the last 100 years, mind you; before then, pink was considered the "go-to" colour for baby boys!). The companies who produce products want to sell as many as possible, so they are going to choose the colours that are traditionally appealing to young girls. Besides that, the collective unconscious of society tells us that pink represents feminity, innocence and youth, which are traits a lot of littles identify with. The same goes for pastel colours in general, which are considered "baby colours" in the west.

However, just because something is a common trend with littles (or anybody!) does not mean it is the right or correct way to be. It just comes down to personal preference. Some love pastels, some love brights, some love dark colours. Everybody is right! :3

Edited by Sunny
  • Like 1

Guest cookie_crumble_princess

Black *grabby hands* 

I'm with Kao! Every dress in my closet is black. I just 'pepper' them with a dash of color, jewels, pink, blues of different shades, and purple. 

And, yes some people absolutely abhor pink. My mother dressed myself and my older sister in pink all the time when we were little. I personally love the color, even though I don't wear it often. My sister on the other hand, she hates it so much, she hates seeing other people wear it. She says it makes her sick.

Just be yourself! There are going to be some people that approve what you do and others that don't like it much at all, but really where does their opinion lay in your life?

• Like 1

I like both! I like to mix them up sometimes too. Generally I wear a lot of dark colors (I'm a goth at heart), but as I've eased into littleness as a lifestyle instead of just an occasional treat, I've collected some pastel pieces. I've learned I really like soft floral prints on a dark background. For me, it's taken a little extra time to navigate because I've always been very anti-fashion.

There are plenty of littles that don't fit into the standard "pale blog" little aesthetic. I listen to metal and enjoy the outdoors and horror movies and work a blue collar job and *GAAAASP* have children in my life. Pastels are not practical for an active and sometimes messy life. Besides that, it's up to YOU to decide whether or not they have a place in your little space.

Guest LavanderRabbit

I love to wear a mix of both. Even my make up style reflects it because it's always a pastel with a darker royal color. My favorite colors are lavender and dark green.