DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

pamperedpenny

So, I'm a member of the San Francisco Little Scouts. Last night we were having a meeting and I quickly mentioned the idea of setting up an online troop, so that Littles who were not local to one of our real world troops (San Francisco, Austin, San Diego), have mobility issues, can't take that much time, etc. could still participate. Would anyone here be interested?

What is Little Scouts? Little Scouts is an age play scout troop that focuses on education and community building through fun activities. There is more information on the central website.

How Might This Happen? Well, it looks like people are not interested in TinyChat, which is what I've used for this sort of thing. Maybe I need to become more familiar with Skype groups? Google Hangout would be a better option. I would be open to suggestions! A forum or blog might be in order as well.

What Would We Do? Earn badges! And have virtual outings if I or someone else could figure out a good way to do that. Here are a few examples of badges.

If four or more people are interested, I would be willing to commit to doing one meeting a week for a month on Wednesday evenings, though it might have to wait until after my wedding in mid July. Until then, I would spend time promoting and gauging interest--unless someone else wants to run with the idea, which is totally fine, too!

• Like 3

I'd love to do it! Although, Google hangouts might be ideal, but it is a work in progress, and to me, it seems to be very glitchy at times. I feel like more people have skype. But would we be able to participate, if maybe we are not exactly comfortable showing our faces/talking?

I wouldn't mind doing it, as long as I don't have to talk. Also, the links to the badges isn't working for me, I got an error 403 error when I clicked them. It sounds interesting though.

I'm interested in this, but wouldn't be able to cam/use a mic as we don't own them..
Would I still be able to join?

Hmm. Well, it seems like people are not interested in anything that requires a cam, which I understand. I forget that most people need to be incognito. Oops!

Little Scouts are about education, so it's a way of showing off what you've learned and emphasizing the betterment of your Little self. For example, if we were to have a baking badge, the Scout Leader might post a recipe, then you would have to show step-by-step that you followed it and that your completed recipe was, you know, edible and not burnt.

At our last meeting, someone asked what would happen if the Little couldn't show that he or she had completed the badge task or learned the necessary skills because "Littles get flustered sometimes," and the answer was that the hypothetical Little would not get the badge. Scouts is supposed to be less about role playing and more about community outreach and education.

So, this could be done online in an anonymous way, but I would need four hard yeses before I would be willing to approach Little Scouts about setting up a virtual chapter. I'm already involved in real world Little Scouts and love it! I just thought that online Littles might like a chance to be involved and am willing to help facilitate that.

I'm very interested in this!   :)

I have no problem with talking and using a cam either.

I wish I lived near one of the actual troop locations.

It's late and my brain is mush but I am very interested in this and would love to message you or post some ideas here tomorrow when my head isn't so fuzzy! ^_^

-Sammy

Oh wow, I'm definitely interested in this! I live in England as as far as I know there's nothing like this here.

This sounds fun! I'm interested.  Skype or Google would probably be the best options, in my opinion. Even if you aren't talking on mic, Skype is really nice for groups.

Hi again!!

So, I think Skype is the perfect communication tool. You can do video chat, voice chat, and text. Plus, there's a phone app for it so you can communicate on the go ^_^

I also think a forum setting would be really cool and I have some experience in setting up invisionfree forums. And I think it would be cute for us littles to use because you can do fun html thingies to post that look all cute and pretty! I'd be happy to set one up (it's free) and you guys can let me know if you like it maybe?

I used to do forum-based literary RPGs on invisionfree forums and we had all these get-to-know-you threads and just fun, silly games (like GIF conversations where you keep a convo going by only using GIFs). In addition to earning badges, I think that'd be really fun and would help community-building among the members. We could also have tutorials on doing things like fort-building, etc and people can post pics of stuffies, pacis, forts, and anything else they'd like.

But that's just me babbling. What do you guys think?

<3Sammy

These are the two issues that I feel we have to overcome in order to make this happen:

1. It appears that everyone is from very different geographical locations, but that Skype is the preferred method of conducting scout meetings. This will make things, well, difficult. I think that a forum is a great solution, with Skype meetings arranged by members as they are required. I've found that people usually show up to meetings that they prioritize and that fewer meetings makes each individual meeting more of a priority. OTOH, people have busy lives and may simply not be able to make a meeting, so more may be better. I don't know whether this should be resolved with fewer meetings or more.

2. There seems to be ongoing confusion about what scouts is and, of course, people can't really agree to be involved in something if things are unclear. Little Scouts is primarily about education. It's also about community building, community outreach, and self improvement. If we just want to post pictures of our stuffies or have tutorials on building forts…that can be done on these existing forums. There's no reason to cater to a need that is already being fulfilled. If people still wanted to do some sort of scouts thing here that was based on role play instead of education, I would suggest just making a cute scouts graphic that people could post to their profiles and stay the course. If it takes off, maybe the administrators will open a new forum.

There is no fee to join Little Scouts. However, if you need someone else to, say, make your sash, you will need to pay for that. My local troop currently has a very basic uniform consisting of a beret, pin, and sash. Other scout troops have more elaborate uniforms. You don't *have* to wear it, but no one else will buy it for you. We encourage scouts who can't afford a uniform (at this point hypothetical, as a sash is $10, a pin is $5, and a beret is $6) to fundraise in order to purchase one and then earn a badge for fundraising!

Little Scouts is not for everyone. It requires a commitment of time and prioritization. That said, Little Scouts are ideal for some Littles who are very busy and need to spend even their "down time" being productive. Badges are earned by demonstrating a skill to the group in pictures or video which may not include your identifying traits--like in some of the crafts on the forum here. [i'm afraid to link because my post was deleted before when I tried to!]

I don't want to be a downer--I just want to make sure that we're all on the same page. I'd also like to remind people that you can totally set up your own Little Scouts locally! It's a lot of fun!

Thus Sunday is the San Francisco Pride Parade. I'll be attending and helping to fun the Little Scouts booth in Leather Alley. If I get four positive responses (not I wouldn't mind, or maybe, if..., but definitely, yes please, I understand what I'm committing to and I'm committing!) by then, I will discuss setting up an online chapter with the founder. If people aren't interested, that's okay!

Pamperedpenny I Completely understand what you are saying and if you are still interested in starting it I am interested in joining.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
My Daddy and I were just talking about something like this! But I don't have any little friends and I'm not sure I want my little space to be a group activity...is it possible to be a solitary little scout/Den Daddy?

My Daddy and I were just talking about something like this! But I don't have any little friends and I'm not sure I want my little space to be a group activity...is it possible to be a solitary little scout/Den Daddy?

I have the same question