DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

I made my own collar and it actually looks okay!

smol-princess-bean

So, I am new here and wanted to jump in some where and realized this was a good starting place! I recently did a DIY day with one of my friends and we made really cute collars, and they turned out really well! However we noticed that a lot of instructions and things online we sought for help were kinda confusing! So I'm going to try to explain ours! And by try I mean I'm going to just talk and hope maybe it helps somebody! I don't have step by step photos of mine, but I can walk through it! All of my supplies was bought in Walmart for very cheap! 

What you'll need:

-Ribbons

I used a thick white ribbon as the base, then found some pretty lace pink ribbon I liked, and a scalloped blue ribbon for the top layer. However many layers you want is up to you! And the thickness is up to you as well. My bottom one is a white 1.5 inch, the pink lace layer is 1.25 inches, and the top blue was 5/8ths of an inch. So just pick thicker and then thinner. If you want only one layer or two or more then thats up to you!

-Paracord Bracelet Clasps

These we found were much easier than D rings or trying to worry about an actual necklace clasp and can be found in a walmart or craft store for not very much. I used black, but there are colorful ones!

-Thread

Any sewing thread will do? Though I got a strong kind because I had three layers. Mine is all done in white thread, however the colors are all about your aesthetic.

-Scissors

Little ones please stay safe. Be careful!

-Sewing Needle (if you want to use a machine you can, but I'm not precise enough with it)

I used an embroidery needle because it was all I had on hand at the time, but my friend used a sewing needle so either work. Again, little ones stay safe!

-Decoration!

I wanted a bell and a bow on mine! So I purchased those to go on the collar, however you can use small chains or stones or cut outs, whatever you want! However if you get a bell I recommend you get small hooks to put them on with (again I hate D rings in crafts).

STEP ONE:

Yay! Get all of your supplies out and make sure you've got what you need! Unwrap all of your things and turn on some music--we all know we get frustrated when doing crafts, remember its just for fun!

STEP TWO:

Measure your neck with your base ribbon and leave a couple inches of extra ribbon on each side (this will be what goes into the clasps later). Now take your scissors and cut that. Ta da! First layer done!

STEP THREE:

This is when I got my lace ribbon--your second thickest ribbon--out. It looked pretty just laid on top of the white, however I'm super extra as a person in general so I wanted to ruffle it. However if you don't want to do that then what you need to do is just cut your ribbon to match the length of the first layer and thread your needle to stitch it on. Whether you like the stitch in the middle or one on each side is up to you!

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO RUFFLE:

Do NOT cut your ribbon that you want to ruffle. You're gonna use a lot and thats impossible to measure without math and who wants to do that. Now. You're gonna need pins. Like the cute little sewing pins. Fold over your ribbon on top of your base ribbon with however big you want the ruffle to be. Mine is about 1/2 an inch, but again I just folded it over, it doesn't need to be perfect trust me. Once you do that just pin that fold down. Then do it again. And again. And again. I made my ruffle edges overlap slightly that way they looked bunchier. Until you reach the other end of your base ribbon. THEN you can cut it. Now you have all these pins in your ribbon. Go through and take your needle and stitch the base and the ruffled ribbons together. I did mine in the middle so it would be ruffled on both sides and thats what I recommend. This will take some time. You'll be okay. I cried. So I feel you.

STEP FOUR:

Add your next layer! Ruffle again or just stitch the next ribbon down, which is what I did. All you! Keep layering or stop, this is YOUR collar, its all about what you want! (This is my blue ribbon layer)

STEP FIVE:

This is when I put the ends through the paracord clasps. Now the thicker you go the harder this is, however just be patient and you'll get it through. Make sure you measure length around you neck again once you pull the ends through the clips. Don't make it too tight! Once you have your desired length, stitch the ends down on the back of the rest of the collar. Don't worry about stitches showing on the pretty side too much, This will be in the back. Its no biggie.

STEP SIX:

Now the fun decoration part! Go nuts! Hot glue! Spikes! Bells! Bows! Glitter! Yay! I put a Bow in the middle of mine with a little dangle bell below it!

CONGRATS! YOU DID IT! Now you can put it on and be cute! If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them! I complained the entire time doing this, but honestly I love this thing now. Its adorable.

post-24321-0-82119200-1485407605_thumb.jpg

post-24321-0-95779800-1485407609_thumb.jpg

post-24321-0-21936000-1485407614_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That looks so awesomeeeeeeee!!!

I found this cool looking chain at the craft store (Joann Fabrics) in the jewelry section, its pretty heavy duty and looks amazing as a collar.  I am gonna put ribbon between the chain links and add a little bell to it eventually, but I kinda like this idea too!  Eeeeep is there a rule to have just one collar? hehe ^.^

• Like 1

That looks so awesomeeeeeeee!!!

I found this cool looking chain at the craft store (Joann Fabrics) in the jewelry section, its pretty heavy duty and looks amazing as a collar.  I am gonna put ribbon between the chain links and add a little bell to it eventually, but I kinda like this idea too!  Eeeeep is there a rule to have just one collar? hehe ^.^

That sounds super cute! I love it! Honestly I'm probably going to make another one for when I'm feeling less pink. Sometimes I'm really feeling black, or green. Or red. Purple would be cute too. Having multiple collars is cute and fashion forward in my opinion!  :lol: