DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Deciphering the subtleties of human behavior.

DeepSpaceDaddy

Okay folks, I'm kind of curious what to make of something I noticed with a younger girl and am curious what it might mean. This is not a DD/lg question, but I think this is the only place that won't freak out over the age difference. 

Scenario: While at the local grocery store, I have seen the same girl a couple of times recently but we've really never interacted aside from her bagging our purchases, once I think, maybe twice. She's younger, I'm guessing 18ish. She bags groceries at the end of the check out, brings in carts, etc. She appears to work everyday, so must have already graduated high school. I don't find her super attractive, just average, so it's not just lust, but for some reason, I am somewhat drawn to/intrigued by her. She always stands out to me. I just notice her for no real currently explainable reason. I'm confident she's aware of it as I've seen her look up at me when I'm glancing at her.... and, I understand that girls ALWAYS know when you're looking at them LOL

So, the other day, I was at the store, and she was there, as she apparently always is. I was trying very hard not to look at her for fear of her thinking "creepy stalker guy" or something. I was there helping my mother shop, and we had business at the front of the store on both sides, so I passed by her a couple of times. There were actually 4 different times, before we checked out, that her and I were in close proximity to each other and out of my peripheral vision, I saw her look over at me in a way that left me feeling like she was expecting/anticipating/wanting(?) me to notice/acknowledge/interact with her or something. At one point, while I was checking out, she even moved to an open check out to bag groceries at the check out next to me. It could be very innocent as they do bounce around depending on which lane is busy, but this just felt very deliberate. In fact, my back was to her but I literally sensed her behind me before I turned around and saw her, facing away from me as she worked to bag the purchases made in that lane. There were two other lanes, closer to where she had come from, and further from where I was, that she could have gone to if she wanted. Before I left, I did make sure to catch her attention at the right moment and make a little comment/cheesy joke, to which she smiled and laughed a bit but seemed genuinely happy/pleased - a bit surprised(?) to have some kind of interaction/attention/something, albeit very brief.  

Now typically, I assume girls are not interested and want to be left alone, are tired of guys hitting on them, etc. And of course, there is the ever present, "Why would any girl be interested in me" voice in the back of my head. That assumption has led me to miss out on dozens of opportunities over the years, so I'm trying not to assume it means nothing, but I'm also not naive enough to think she wants me to ask her out or something. I'm 42, with a full beard and mustache, nicely trimmed, and there are spots of grey in them, so she would be well aware that we are no where close in age, so I'm left wondering if I'm misreading her, just wishful thinking on my part, which I don't think so, or is she genuinely interested in.... what, exactly? And what would be the best way to encourage or create additional opportunities to find out her disposition towards me, without being awkward or making her uncomfortable. Perhaps I'm just a nice friendly guy that she remembers? But then why so much effort to make sure I saw her? Our opportunities to interact are limited to very short time frames, so no chance to engage in any real conversation, but I am very interested in encouraging whatever she is interested in, if anything.  I'm very curious what you all think of this. 

Thank you in advance. :)

DSD <--- who is not really in DS and not currently a D. 

Guest JoeKarr

Dude, this is easy. The best litmus test for interest is conversation, small talk. If she's interested she'll reciprocate and offer up things about herself. Easiest opening will always be, "Hi, I notice you're here a lot. Do you work daily?" Or some permutation of this. This is a very non-creepy opening and also you're not asking her out. And if she continues the conversation you're cool. If not, then move on, next, and try a new chick. But, honestly conversation never hurt anyone.

As for that voice in the back of your mind, tell him to suck it.

• Like 1

Talk to her! She sounds interested but even if she isn't, you don't want to not speak to her because of no confidence!! :D Girls can be a bit more subtle with how they express interest so sometimes its important to just go for it.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

I would like to, but the window of opportunity to engage in any meaningful conversation is about 30 seconds. She's working, she's busy. Can't have much of a conversation in that space but I will look for opportunities. I was just curious if she's just being nice or if it means something more. I guess only she knows. LOL

Mods: Please delete this thread. It serves no useful purpose and is just clutter. I shouldn't have posted it. Thank you to the two that replied. 

If she's interested she'll reciprocate and offer up things about herself.

Usually this would be quite true, but he's looking to engage her at her place of employment. Seeing that customer service is part of her job, she's likely to reciprocate in a friendly manner due to her job duties as long as she doesn't feel threatened. 

I wouldn't say that she's into you necessarily by the information you've given; as you hold some fascination for her, your perception may be skewed a bit. I'd suggest reading up on body language cues, people subconsciously tell us a lot with their body when we are engaging with them. After you do this make some banter with her and read the cues she's giving you.

Best of luck  :)

Edited by Lil' Poundcake

I wouldn't say that she's into you necessarily by the information you've given; as you hold some fascination for her, your perception may be skewed a bit. I'd suggest reading up on body language cues, people subconsciously tell us a lot with their body when we are engaging with them. 

Best of luck  :)

Thank you, and yes, I'm definitely aware of the possibility my perception could be skewed, hence the reason I always assume they aren't interested. I actually have read a little on body language - not in romantic context though. Very fascinating topic. It's a lot to take in and recall in the moment. Kind of like weather predicting: 50% science, 50% art!