DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

What do you think about Melanie Martinez?

StrawberryDoll

I used to love her stuff. I don't like her much now, but I also don't dislike her.

I like that her style is unique. I thought it was quite cool how her songs followed a story and had the characters and everything. But for me she was one of those things that were fun at first and I went back to what I usually listen to after, rather than someone who will be amazing forever. ._. 

Her songs were really helpful to get me into littlespace the first few times, before I knew who I was as a little. (not that I'm not still exploring, ofc) I listen to her once in awhile now, because I do like the creepy-cute themes and it's catchy! 

Edited by Koala

I actually dislike her quite a bit. I never like her and then when certain things came to light about her and her music, I am glad I never got involved with her or her merch.

I will say what I hate is how so many littles use her as the DDlg Icon or Face of the Community. They see her as a progressive musician who is promoting a normal lifestyle. When, in fact, what she is doing is taking from many, large, social issues and manipulating them for ratings. The childish aesthetic (hey she might be a little, I don't know. I actually hope she isn't), the glorification of mental health in the one song (I think 'Matter Hatter'? I dont remember), and then of course her rape charge.

To me Melanie has always just been an attention whore. And I realize this is my opinion and I am not saying I am the correct one here. However, that is how she has always come across as me. Someone who doesn't take anything seriously but uses serious issues to get fame.

I just really dislike her and I realize a lot of you adore her. So I do apologize if I offended anyone. I was just giving my honest feedback.

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer Nicole Dollanganger.  I find Melanie to be particularly icky after the whole sexual assault thing.  It really adds another gross layer to a lot of her music - particularly Cake.

Edited by budding_clover