DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Anxiety attacks

Tomatobabe14

I think everyone has a different reactions to an anxiety attack, but for me I do a bunch of different things to calm myself down/help other people. Drinking water, tea, or another warm beverage can help calm down. relaxing your shoulders or any other body parts that are tense, while taking slow deep breaths (helps stop them from hyperventilating or holding in their breath). Playing soft meditation music/piano music can help put thoughts at ease. Letting them calm down before asking questions will also help them- it can be very overwhelming for something to answer questions when they are in a state of panic.

These might not work for everyone, these are just personal experiences, but i hope they help!

• Like 1

With any Little I had with anxiety I would learn what their triggers were and tried to think of ways to avoid them or just do a 'role-play'  of me holding them and rubbing their backs if I could not be there when they had their attacks. I also would find out the best way to care for them when they had an attack by talking with them beforehand. The thing I did all the time was to let them know that I knew their feelings were real and it was not drama as many people feel it is.

I hope this helps

• Like 2

Try to find out the primary trigger(s) and reassure yourself or your little that someone cares and it will all be alright. Distract yourself or your little to pleasant thoughts and memories and do whatever has worked before, for example taking deep breaths, drinking water or tea.
If possible, cuddling someone or talking to someone caring works well. 

• Like 1

When I am having an anxiety attack, I draw on Daddy's tummy, and he rocks me in his lap. Edited by LittleCelticLass

• 7 months later...

Finding a way to find self comfort is imperative. If you feel yourself starting to panic, find a quiet place to sit down and tell yourself “it’s okay” “you’re going to be okay” over and over again. Combined with deep breathing, these repetitive affirmations can help you calm down in no time at all. Once you have convinced your mind that your panic attack is simply in your head, you will start to feel more relaxed and comfortable. If possible, say positive affirmations in a place that is free of all interruptions. It is simply very comforting to hear yourself commenting on how everything is going to be okay.

Personally, I just take deep breaths and close my eyes until I'm in control again. Then, I calmly decide on a course of action to solve whatever problem caused this. Then I just do the best I can and pretty soon, I'm not anxious anymore.

Everyone who suffers from anxiety should create their own protocols for coping with it.  What works for me, may not work for you.

For me, a lot has to do with when and where the attack happens.  I usually first need to bring myself back into my body.  Touch is a good device my Daddy and I use for that, I am very comforted by his hand on the small of my back, or on the back of my neck.  I can focus on that touch, instead of what is causing me anxiety.  He will also remind me to breathe, because sometimes I forget.  If I'm alone I often put my own hand on my stomach and try to ground myself from that point into the earth with big deep breaths.  

If the situation is bad enough and I am out in public, I will often excuse myself and find the restroom.  There I can close myself in a stall and to block out and hide away from whatever was causing the attack.  This gives me a few minutes to think about what has happened, do some deep breathing, and come up with a solution to whatever set me off.  

I have been known crawl into bed or on the couch and become one with a blanket. 

That being said, this is something that you should discuss with your partner, and with a doctor or therapist.  There are lots of good strategies for immediate care, but if this is a chronic problem, medications can make a big change in the quality of life for an anxiety patient.

• 1 month later...
Guest bunnibunbun
whenever i have an anxiety attack, i usually call a trusted friend (if i can) and they run through exercises with me! like starting from a to z, i have to say the first word that comes to mind corresponding to the letter. i also try to ground myself by using the 5 senses. what do i see? what do i hear, smell, and taste? i have more but these are the main ones that really help me. i hope everything is okay♡

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sweetbottoms

I like how everyone has good ideas. These are things I could try. How about doing tripods? I used to do those in highschool and it made panic attacks leave quickly.

I get panic/anxiety attacks for no reason. They just show up uninvited. Depending on how bad it is, the paper bag has been good for me.

Using the migrastick which has essential oils lavender and peppermint. It's a roll on oil and it smells amazing. I don't pass out.

I sometimes close my eyes and do visual meditation. I invite anxiety in for a visit and tell it,"you can stay for a little visit, welcome" after a few minutes of breathing and being aware of how you may judge your visitor, you tell anxiety that is time to go. And you visually open the door to the anxiety leaving"thank you coming" but now you have to leave. And you silently tell yourself, anxiety has left me as many times as you want. You come back when you want. Thats mindfulness! It's really helpful and effective. Practice the half smile. It's harder than you think lol

There s rational mind, wise mind, and the emotional mind. Another name for this is DBT skills. Great for controlling the brain panic system.

Other panic attacks that are small I just start laughing on purpose to reassure my brain that I have enough oxygen and that I'm not dying. silly brain tells fibs.

If anyone is a believer, my pastor called me the prayer priestess. I pray, because help and comfort is closer than you think ♥ I usually always pray for others because I forget to take care of me too.

Self care after the attack is important. Think of yourself and your needs. Give yourself a warm bubble bath, watch a movie that's positive or funny, color in your colouring book. Get a new stuffy. Panic attacks suck!

I hope everyone is alright out there.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

To deal with anxiety fear, any person will have to know that he or she has a selection in the means they interact to stimulus of fear. Discovering this may hugely vary and reframe the way you take a look at fear. At this point, you’ll be in a position to acquire potential over your fear rather of being governed by it. Because if not, then fear will constantly find a way to develop adverse impacts on your mind and the way you respond to things. Evaluate fear in a completely different light, to ensure it isn’t going to generate the very same anxious sensation as it frequently does at you.