DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

In need of some words of encouragement

Hey everyone! so I just found out today that i got accepted into an art school, super last minuet! I have to be there in a few days and it totally got me off guard. Im super exited and happy i can pursue my career and skill as an artist, but im obviously super anxious because they sent the accepted letter very late. its gonna be the first time i leave my parents home to live somewhere else with such short notice. the school is still within my state and only 2hrs and 20 mins away from were I live but still alot to process and take in. Anyway i could use some words of encouragement to help me get through the transition. :)  

Guest Lavendar Bunni Wubbins

You can do it! It probably feels like a pretty big step for you, but just remember that you are close enough to be able to go home easily enough and get that cozy home feeling that you will probably be missing a lot at first. Maybe take a few things that remind you of home strongly, whether it's a scented candle or some scent that is common in your home, maybe a small piece of furniture, blanket...could be anything! That kind of stuff worked well for me at least when I first moved out, though I didn't miss it very much once I was out on my own...I was too excited being my own boss for once! lol

Guest LittleMissMissy
This is awesome news. I wish you the best of luck. The first few steps are the hardest but then it will be so amazing for you. You will be like a fish to water. Edited by LittleMissMissy

Guest frozenwolf

Congrats on the big step. College is a huge change but in a good way. You get to really find yourself and what kind of a man you are.Plus with you being so close it won't be near as bad.You can still see your folks and now you have the opportunity to have all kinds of new friends. Think of it as getting the best of both worlds.

I agree with Bunbun about bringing a piece of home with you. That always helps even if its something small.

Awww what a great chance to experience independence and be super grown! You can do this and accomplish your goals! It's far enough to gain some freedoms and close enough that you won't be losing the ability to physically connect with family. You can do this!

Side suggestion that's kinda strange. You might feel better if you become welcoming and friendly with regular staff members in certain areas (like a Secretary of the art department! Or departments/buildings you need to take classes in. Then you gets to have a campus family of adults as well as making friends with regular students.

You can do it! haha like everyone else says!

I also went to an art school that was really competitive and graduated with a BFA in graphic design :)

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, as I always said, being an artist is harder than being a doctor; we don't study everyday or even save lives, we have to create new and original ideas everyday, that have never been done before, and it needs to be great. However, that being said we do have to study because there's usually a ton of art history classes involved.

My best words of advice...

1. Sometimes you're going to have to do a project based on what your teacher likes/thinks is good design, not you.
  2. There's going to be a lot of sleepless, crying nights. Sometimes under a table in an art studio.
  3. Take care of your health. Mental and physical. Actually drink some water and eat some vegetables and take some vitamins.
  4. Usually your first semester/year is going to be the toughest. They're trying to weed out the weak.
  5. Use your school resources to your advantage. Really!

I wish you the best of luck!

You can do it! haha like everyone else says!

I also went to an art school that was really competitive and graduated with a BFA in graphic design :)

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, as I always said, being an artist is harder than being a doctor; we don't study everyday or even save lives, we have to create new and original ideas everyday, that have never been done before, and it needs to be great. However, that being said we do have to study because there's usually a ton of art history classes involved.

My best words of advice...

1. Sometimes you're going to have to do a project based on what your teacher likes/thinks is good design, not you.
  2. There's going to be a lot of sleepless, crying nights. Sometimes under a table in an art studio.
  3. Take care of your health. Mental and physical. Actually drink some water and eat some vegetables and take some vitamins.
  4. Usually your first semester/year is going to be the toughest. They're trying to weed out the weak.
  5. Use your school resources to your advantage. Really!

I wish you the best of luck!