DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Eats, Treats, and Recipes

shadowrider

Share all the wonderful treats and dishes that you enjoy as part of celebrating Black History. Whether part of your heritage or something that was shared with you, we want to see it and learn about it.

• 11 months later...

OKRAAAAAAAA!

It is slimey in soups, but heaven when fried! I will give this recipe as it was given to me. (Also a wonderful thickener for soups and good for the gut). It came to America through the slave trade. My people would hide seeds in necklaces and their hair during the transatlantic slave ship voyage. It is a part of African-American inheritance.

Take about 2 good handfuls of okra. Cut off the head and tails then cut (about 1 inch thick or so)

Let them soak in butter milk then dry or just wash and dry.

You can buy a fish fry batter or cornmeal coat or make your own. We use cajun seasonings but use what ever you like. Then deep fry in small batches. DO TEST ONES TO SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT.

I like to do the coat in flour, dip in egg, shake in bag of coating method. Some people make a batter usually flour based and my family uses a cornmeal shake base. That's the thing, make it yours and experiment. That is why its cool when multiple people bring it to an occasion because you taste their flair.

220px-FriedOkra - Copy.JPG

• Like 1