DDlg Forum & Community Summer Fun !

Japanese

beanbean

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add something but I was not sure what would be interesting to share. I thought about it a lot and given the forum and how people come here to find connections I would share a Japanese word/saying that is all about the inevitable connection.

Koi No Yokan (恋の予感)

although there is no direct English language translation it can roughly be translated into “premonition of love”.

It is also the name of the American band Deftones seventh album but all it share is the name haha

but in description it is used to describe the sense a person has upon meeting another person, the future love between them is inevitable. This is not the same thing as “love at first sight”.

An example would be like, “Your smell was never unfamiliar”.

• Love it 1
  • Love button 4

Thanks for sharing it's much appreciated understanding of other cultures is incredible important 

@Lil_Bear That's quite fitting for the first post in this thread. Thanks for sharing. It also reminded me of the pottery practice of 'kintsugi', which means something like 'gold patchwork'.

Katakana: キンツギ

Hiragana: きんつぎ

Kanji: 金継ぎ

This is when broken plates, pots, and others are reassembled using melted gold or silver. It creates a unique aesthetic where the cracks are highlighted with gleaming precious metal. The idea is that the pottery was once shattered but is now whole again, and that its exposed flaws make it more beautiful than ever. I feel that's something that many people here will appreciate.

• Like 1
  • Love button 1

What are you all using to study? I'm out of school so I'm doing WaniKani (currently Lvl 5) and Duolingo (Section 1, Unit 2) every day, plus watching shows in Japanese. I found that Rilakkuma and Kaoru on Netlfix is great for learning. I've watched it like three times over now haha 

@Onasunbeam I've used Duolingo for a few years, supplemented by Jisho.org to study kanji, and generally reading and hearing Japanese words I come across. This is all done pretty casually, so I'm not as well-practiced as I should be, but I can form basic sentences. It's great to watch anime and actually understand a few words. 😏 Learning another language really gives you a whole new perspective on the world. 

@Onasunbeam I am not sure what the best way to study would be but I would imagine listening to people speak the language in a casual form would help. Watch Japanese YouTubers and Japanese news channels. Because of how we speak and the similarity between words almost every word we speak would be accompanied by text, I would then take that text and translate it with Jisho.org like Sir Charlie said or even Google to get a basic idea. 
I would suggest too finding an online study guide to help you start building the basics of sentence structure and the vowels and how they sound. You could also probably find those on YouTube as well

I hope this helps ^^

Hey, friends. Hope you're having a nice weekend and stuff. 😎 I'm doing a little bit of kanji study and was wondering what the "little ケ" means? I've seen it occasionally, but cannot for the life of me understand its purpose. I know there's the character which indicates twin kanji (such as「 時々」). Thought this would be a good learning opportunity for the group. Thanks!