DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Newbie Korean lol

lilpincess

I was born in South Korea, but I was adopted and came to America when I was seven and a half months old. I've always wanted to learn how to speak it, but other than a few words, I've struggled doing it on my own. I wanted to take it in college, but there was only one teacher and I heard she was super mean, especially to Asians because she assumes we're taking the class for an easy A.

• Thumbs up 1

Personally I enjoy learning from pimsleur for listening in the backgrounds like when walking sleeping cooking, etc, then I found duolingo app is also great an it’s free and teaches you how to spell, write and also offering Rosetta Stone, they also offer flash cards an a few learning games an matching an quizzes trying to keep you entertained while learning, and you can make friends with others learning it also an communicate with them they have a little community you can practice with other students, then khanacademy.com which also has an app is also great for getting more practice an offering different approaches to learning to speak Korean, and I found listening to music and watching Tv shows in Korean an reading it in either romanization (which is spelling it out as how you should pronounce the words then a simple translation) or just subtitles in English can also help you learn as your watching it pronounce it how they are an seeing how they distribute the emotions they protray on each word also.

viki.com is a great free app for Korean shows an they also stream hits of their channel through Netflix, Hulu an Disney. 

also you can check out your local library a lot of public free library’s offer free language tutors an classes and if they have it’s for esl they likely can find someone to bounce off with someone you can help with English while they help you learn to conversation in their language ie korean,

Hopefully that helps and best of luck,

so that’s what I have used to practice writing in hangul and learning to understand Korean, I learned communication more with sign language an body language in Korean then just talking orally but those were the platforms I used to practice on my own inbetween school so I’m yeah I think it could be helpful.

Edited by Curious Leo
Some spelling mistakes