DDlg Forum & Community Spring is Here !

Meggles

While I love pacis and just got two new ones this morning, I am still worried about some things. Being 19, I feel so self conscious in the store browsing. I saw people looking at me and one lady even asked "How old is your baby?" Like... I don't know if it's wrong to like pacifiers, it doesn't seem wrong.. I don't know. Is it too weird? In public, I feel so embarrassed by the thought, but back in my hotel room I am much more comfortable and happy when I have one. What do you Littles have to say about them? And Caregivers, if your Little likes pacis, what are your thoughts? 

Side note~ I also have snake bites, and sometimes it is uncomfortable to use certain pacifiers due to the rings. I'd take them out, but I am so paranoid because last time I did, they almost grew over.. Any suggestions? Brands with more room from nipple to plastic bit?

• Like 1

I rarely pay attention to others while shopping for whatever it might be. I guess cause of my height and bulk not to mention the way I look (perpetual scowl on my face when shopping, its a great defense mechanism) most dont strike up a conversation with me. Not even the chasier would to make small talk lol. But if someone did ask me when am buying pacifiers or other little related products would give them a look as if they were creepy or tell my little's age or if am in a weird quirky mood tell them its for me just to see their reactions. I can understand how some can be embarrassed (have couple of friends who when sent out to buy tampons etc would buy other things to hide their awkwardness) but take a chance cause some of these expressions are priceless and good for laughs when sharing with others.

I dont know what types you use so best I can tell is to go to store to personally check for lengths/more room. Some orthodontic pacifiers might have more room. The only type of pacifiers I know without the plastic bit or longer length are candy rings (which wouldnt really work) and puppy pacifiers.

Edited by dnswd
  • Like 1

I pretty much never stopped buying toys growing up and still do buy them. I used to get really self conscious looking in the toy isle. My little used to get really self conscious when shopping in the kids section or buying pacifiers. She's incontinent and would get the same embarrassed buying diapers in stores. The first time she bought them when I was with her she made me stand outside the isle when she went and picked them up. I think the only way to make that stop is just time. It's been about three years now that we've been together and neither of us have any problem grabbing a bag of diapers or buying a bunch of toys or clothes with Hello Kitty on them.

To maybe calm some of your worries it seems really rare anyone ever thinks something of it. I can only think of it happening twice and once I think was like you said about someone asking after a child or baby and the other time a cashier said "I'm not even going to ask" when we were buying Lego. I still don't entirely know why she said that. What could be so salacious about two grown adults buying some Lego sets?

To your last question, the only thing I can think is buying one of the adult pacifiers that have a longer base on the nipple so it's not pulling the guard as hard against your lips. They're kinda expensive though and you can only buy them online. I know that's a problem for a lot of people. 

• Like 2

I have snake bites, too. I use horseshoe style rings in mine or captures, and find MAM pacifiers to be quite comfortable!

Also, I just tell people my kid is a year old if they ask. Haven't had that issue, though, with pacifiers. I have with the hair bows I buy! Haha.. "Awe, these are so cute! How old is your daughter?!" Hehe... Both daddy and I are comfortable buying from the baby and the kids section, thankfully!

• Like 1

Guest Jakdkskxkaks

I know how you feel Meggles, it can be nerve wracking shopping for little things. Especially if like me it's super difficult holding back your little, I get ridiculously excited and giddy.

What I've found works for me is to shop and browse as if you were on your own and should someone ask how old your little girl is etc smile and tell them it's a gift for someone else's little girl. I've never had any mishaps whilst shopping and whilst I used to feel self conscious, like you I'm only young (21), I found online shopping for binkys and toys and other little things takes away the fun of browsing an isle and shopping IRL.

If your caregiver can go shopping with you, take them! Or you can send plenty of pictures of what you like and the support from your CG usually gives you the support to be brave.

For me using pacis/binky's is a comfort, it feels so right, it puts me straight into little space. However it is a personal thing, from my experience there are plenty of littles that use pacis but there are some that choose not to. There's no wrong and right in being a little, it's what's most comfortable and enjoyable for you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Walgreens yesterday in the baby section and it felt kind of embarrassing. I'm 26 so it's not unreasonable for people to assume that I have a baby and it wouldn't bother me if they did. I actually might prefer that because what I'm worried about is people knowing that I'm looking at pacis and sippies for myself. (I also wondered if my Shopkins backpack would tip them off.) I have no problem buying toys or coloring books for myself, or going into Toys R Us or the Disney store alone, but something about this was different. Probably because I haven't tried using a paci before and it makes me feel slightly nervous to be looking for one, especially since I think that even while in little space I might still be too old for them.

In related news: I think I do know what type of paci I want to buy and I found a store that has them cheaper than other places. Bonus: they have self-checkout so no cashier will be there to question me or give me side eye  :p

• Like 1

So from what i understand, the NUK 5 is the best sized paci for, um, regular sized people. Reviews i read said they are better quality and same size as the adult ones you get from DDLG shops online.
  • Like 1

I was at Walgreens yesterday in the baby section and it felt kind of embarrassing. I'm 26 so it's not unreasonable for people to assume that I have a baby and it wouldn't bother me if they did. I actually might prefer that because what I'm worried about is people knowing that I'm looking at pacis and sippies for myself. (I also wondered if my Shopkins backpack would tip them off.) I have no problem buying toys or coloring books for myself, or going into Toys R Us or the Disney store alone, but something about this was different. Probably because I haven't tried using a paci before and it makes me feel slightly nervous to be looking for one, especially since I think that even while in little space I might still be too old for them.

In related news: I think I do know what type of paci I want to buy and I found a store that has them cheaper than other places. Bonus: they have self-checkout so no cashier will be there to question me or give me side eye :p

I just wanted to say something about when you said you think, even in little space, you might be too old for a paci. There is nothing lost from trying and if you don't like it then you don't have to have it/use it.

Personally I like to shop little, o don't know of I get strange looks, or what other people think. I am kinda shy and easily embarrassed, but I have bought pacis, sippy cups, baby snacks and comfort blankets myself.

Sometimes I get super excited about something I've seen and it's hard to keep my little in...

I've been looking for ages for a paci thag says 'I love Daddy' nut I can't find one. If anyone knows of any UK stores that have them please let me know. I'd rather not order online because my mum is SUPER nosey

I like pacis! Dont worry about people! If they ask, just say its for your niece or nephew c: or say you buy them for your puppy!

• Like 1

You can always buy adult-sized pacis online, places like Onesies Down Under and Etsy have ones with enlarged NUK nipples that fit an adult mouth perfectly. Also shopping online tends to make one less self-conscious. 

• Like 1

I buy mine online, so no worries :) 

I wish I had the confidence to go and have a proper look around at Toys R Us in the baby section, but I look about fifteen...so that's a big no no. I do not want to be in a situation where other shoppers are asking me intrusive questions while judging me for looking like a teenage mother haha.

• Like 1

You can always buy adult-sized pacis online, places like Onesies Down Under and Etsy have ones with enlarged NUK nipples that fit an adult mouth perfectly. Also shopping online tends to make one less self-conscious. 

Thank you for your feedback. I'll look into this online ^<>^

I like pacis! Dont worry about people! If they ask, just say its for your niece or nephew c: or say you buy them for your puppy!

That's a really good idea. As for me, I really want to try some but haven't gotten the chance yet. Don't care what other people think Meggles. It isn't "wrong" if it doesn't harm anyone. It doesn't harm anyone, and you like them, so that should be all there is to it! 

Thanks Zip.. And all who commented. I appreciate the positivity and alternative solutions. I still get a bit embarrassed, but it's nice knowing there are others on my side.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I was at CVS yesterday by myself. The first thing I did was go to the baby section, which was thankfully in the back of the store. They had exactly what I wanted: Nuk 18-36 months two pack in pink. It was the last one in that size, they didn't even have any blue ones. They were $6.87, a bit more than they are at Target ($4.99), according to the Target website.

I looked at the packaging for a few moments while hemming and hawing over whether to buy them or not then decided to put them back and think about it more. I went to the make up section and the whole time I was thinking "paci paci paci" so I knew I had to buy them. They were the last ones so it had to be a sign, right? Even though I could get them cheaper somewhere else, I've been wanting one for a few weeks now and I don't know when I'm going be alone at a store again in the immediate future. I was somewhat nervous when I was paying for them but I could tell the old cashier guy didn't care and wasn't giving me side eye, lol.

They are now in my possession but I have not tried one yet. The safety instructions say to boil them in hot water for 5 minutes. Is that necessary? Can I just rinse thoroughly with hot tap water? I understand boiling them for a baby but will it make any difference for an adult? Totally clueless here.

Sorry Meggles, I don't mean to hijack your thread. I don't know where else to post this.

Okay, so I was at CVS yesterday by myself. The first thing I did was go to the baby section, which was thankfully in the back of the store. They had exactly what I wanted: Nuk 18-36 months two pack in pink. It was the last one in that size, they didn't even have any blue ones. They were $6.87, a bit more than they are at Target ($4.99), according to the Target website.

I looked at the packaging for a few moments while hemming and hawing over whether to buy them or not then decided to put them back and think about it more. I went to the make up section and the whole time I was thinking "paci paci paci" so I knew I had to buy them. They were the last ones so it had to be a sign, right? Even though I could get them cheaper somewhere else, I've been wanting one for a few weeks now and I don't know when I'm going be alone at a store again in the immediate future. I was somewhat nervous when I was paying for them but I could tell the old cashier guy didn't care and wasn't giving me side eye, lol.

They are now in my possession but I have not tried one yet. The safety instructions say to boil them in hot water for 5 minutes. Is that necessary? Can I just rinse thoroughly with hot tap water? I understand boiling them for a baby but will it make any difference for an adult? Totally clueless here.

Sorry Meggles, I don't mean to hijack your thread. I don't know where else to post this.

I meant to quote you to reply, but I'm using a new phone on mobile. Anyway, it's totally fine. Anyone is welcome to post whatever they feel like on my posts.. So long as it's on topic and or friendly/positive ^<>^